Sunday, November 13, 2011

brights

I couldn't resist knitting some toys for Milo. My favorite is Celestine Sox, by Norah Gaughan, knit out of Knitpicks Chroma. It is a deceptively simple knit, and great for babies. I put a cage and bell cat toy in the middle, for some jingle.

before:


Celestine Sox


and after:


dodecamilo!


I also knit Elijah, by Ysolda Teague. I confess that I omitted his eyes because I just couldn't figure out how to embroider them properly on a stuffed piece. Let's just make believe I decided to leave them out to allow for more scope of the imagination when Milo plats with him!



Eyeless Elijah


Not a toy, but also adorable, is Pepita by Martina Behm, knit out of Wollmeise 100% merino in the Sonne colorway.



Pepita

in orange


I love this jumper, and wish I could make more for him in larger sizes. But that won't happen, given that this took close to 600 yards of fingering weight yarn. I did two modifications to the pattern. I left out the feet and extended the ribbing, in part because I didn't have enough yarn, and in part because it extends the wearability of the garment as he grows taller. I highly recommend this knit for babies. Consider this instead of a blanket, if you want to make a unique gift.


Unrelated to baby knitting, I recently received a review copy of Clara Parkes' book The Knitter's Book Of Socks. Even though I did receive it for free from the publisher, it was a book I knew I would have bought for myself, and I'd like to think that my positive review is not colored by this.

Like her other "Knitter's Book Of..." books, this is a complete gem. It's such a pleasure to have a hefty hardcover, jacketed book in my hands. I regret that I can't do a full run-down of the contents, as I've read it in stolen moments between tending to the baby, and am now trapped under a sleeping baby, out of reach of the book. I did find it as comprehensive and information packed as her other books. My only complaint is that, from experience, I disagree with her claim that socks should have negative ease in length. (I agree about width.) In fact, because negative ease in width pulls the fabric shorter, I have to knit my socks longer than my foot, not shorter, to achieve a proper fit when worn. Otherwise they're just too short. I'm truly curious what other people think of this. How long do you knit your socks in relation to your feet, and does it work?

I think the patterns in this book are even better than in her other two books. There is a range of styles and techniques, and almost every pattern was immediately aesthetically appealing to me. In fact, I am tempted to try to knit my way through the book. It's something I've been wanting to do with a book for a while, and this is probable the one I'll choose. And I plan to try to be as faithful to the patterns as possible, because I want to go outside of my comfort zone, learn new things, and give a second or third try to techniques that I might have tried and dismissed earlier. My knitting time is severely limited, so what might have once been a manageable yearlong project will take much longer, and will not even start immediately. And I want to knit through some stash before buying yarn for this. But does anyone want to join me? Think of it as the loosest knitalong possible. Heck, even choose a different book for your knit-through! I just like the idea of this type of challenge.

11 Comments:

Blogger Jamie said...

Is that a stellated dodecahedron (12-pointed 3D star)? I LOVE IT! And I've never seen anything like it...Also love the jumper. Why did I have to take up knitting after my youngest turned one? Outstanding job!

11/13/2011 12:44 PM  
Blogger jordi said...

About the Sock book. I loved it also and agree about the patterns being great. Just a little suggestion. I have stopped knitting pairs of sox. I divide the skein in half, and knit one sock from a pattern I like and the "mate" in yarn in another pattern. It gives me the chance to try out SO many more patterns and it works just fine. They look great! I was thinking about doing this with this book and am starting to "pair" up singles that I would knit.

The Elephant is so cute, I knitted one out of varigated sock yarn that I am really fond of. I am considering embroidering an initial on it's tummy... or maybe an ear... hmmmm

11/13/2011 12:51 PM  
Blogger staci said...

Oh, those are such cute toys~~and an even cuter baby!

That book is on my wish list!

11/13/2011 4:04 PM  
Blogger Kristin L said...

I can't imagine negative ease in length. That would make my toes feel claustrophobic. I try my socks on as I go, so they're measured to the right length taking into account the vertical shrinkage from the horizontal stretch like you say.

11/13/2011 9:09 PM  
Blogger Kitty Couture said...

Where to start... All these are so beautiful! Love, love the star toy - and how neat to put a cat toy in it.

Pepita in this colour is so gorgeous!

Your Elijah turned out great, too.

11/14/2011 6:40 AM  
Blogger Tipper said...

Oh! You have a baby! Congratulations! :)

11/21/2011 8:30 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

That is so funny - I had no idea it was going to be that big until I saw Elijah holding it!! I'm having a seasonal giveaway tomorrow - perhaps your little man might benefit for his holiday celebrations this year? I hope you can join in.

11/21/2011 9:46 PM  
Blogger Sasha said...

Oooooer gorgeous projects as usual!! :) Will definitely give The Magical Geometric Knitted Shape of Joy a go, and that wee vesty-pant combo is awesome too - will add that one to my list! I thought it was a tiny toy too unti I saw your wee bubba with it!

1/26/2012 10:37 PM  
Anonymous Knitting Patterns for Babies said...

Oh wow, what a fabulous cardigan, I have an immediate urge to cable. Love all the photos you included in your blog and I can’t wait for the new post/pattern to come out.

9/06/2012 4:35 AM  
Anonymous sohbet said...

chat

Haber

chat siteleri

chat

chat odaları

chat

9/18/2014 10:18 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...


mobil sohbet
sohbet
sohbet odalari
chat odalari
chat
ankara sohbet
istanbul sohbet
izmir sohbet
bursa sohbet
mobil chat

4/14/2016 2:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home