Sunday, July 18, 2010

cool wool for a hot summer

Thanks for the wedding cheer, commenters! I did knit while on my honeymoon. The project was a plain ribbed pair of handspun socks, which I more than halfway finished before we got back. Now they're 100% done.

Blaze Honeymoon Socks

Blaze Socks


I wish I could have captured the colors better. Sometimes it's hard to really get good photos of reds and pinks, and it becomes especially difficult if there are a lot of other colors there to confuse the camera.

I spun the yarn from Southern Cross Fiber polwarth, in the Blaze colorway. I think I might have talked about this yarn in a previous post, though I apologize if I haven't. I decided to spin this using a variation on the fractal method. Fractal spinning, as I understand it, is usually a two ply technique. The basic idea is to split your fiber the long way, and spin one bobbin straight from one half of the fiber, and then to split the other half into thinner sections for the second bobbin. When you ply it, you kind of get stripes within stripes. It's a bit like controlled chaos, and is very pretty.

I prefer a 3 ply for my handspun sock yarns, so I had to alter the fractal technique. First of all, I just broke the length of wool top into thirds, instead of splitting it the long way. It's really difficult to evenly split wool top the long way, and it wasn't important enough to me to try. One third of the top was spun straight from an unsplit third. The other two thirds of the singles were split; One bobbin was from a section of top split the long way into approximate halves, and the last bit was split from a section split the long way into approximate thirds. I had planned to split the fiber for the last bobbin into quarters, but sometimes you just have to do what the wool dictates, and it definitely wanted to be thirds.

I really love this technique, and will likely use something like it again for my multicolor three ply yarns. It's kind of the best of both worlds, with larger blocks of color that contain a huge amount of variety and interest. And it works especially well with well crafted colorways, such as what David dyes. Plus, polwarth is great for socks, being fairly soft and very springy. I always get great yardage from it. In case you're wondering, David doesn't pay me to plug his shop. I just love his stuff. If you can catch an update, his colorways + the polwarth base = spinning heaven.


This next pair of socks requires a lot less explanation. They're from the Little Child's Sock pattern, by Nancy Bush, found in her book Knitting Vintage Socks. For those of you who don't know the book, many of the patterns sound like they're for kids, but are actually sized for adults. That's because the vintage patterns she adapted were knit with thinner yarn and needles than we usually use for socks nowadays. So yes, these socks are for me, even though it's been about 2.5 decades since I've been a little child.

Little Yellow Big Girl's Socks


I think I knit them pretty much according to pattern, though it's possible that I ignored the toe and/or heel instructions, to do my own thing. I often do that for socks, since I know what works best for my feet.

The yarn is Lorna's Laces, and the colorway is either Firefly or Dragonfly. I can't remember which is the proper name. It was a lovely gift from Chawne, who has taught me to properly appreciate yellow socks.


I hope to soon have more knitting to share with you. Knitting that isn't socks! I admit that I knit a lot of socks because they're easy. I've got them figured out, and can cast on with confidence, knowing that what I make will fit me and look good. Sweaters take a lot more worrying and figuring. And, obviously, a lot more time to knit. But I happen to have two handspun sweaters that are just about done. I mean, really really close. One needs to have its sleeve hems tacked down, a button attached, and a good bath. The other needs a bindoff on the collar, a few ends woven in, buttons attached, and a good bath and slight blocking of the sleeves. This is stuff I could do in a few hours worth of work, but you'll probably understand when I say that the weather hasn't exactly inspired me to finish wool sweaters. Though I should confess that I also have a big swatch drying, in preparation for my next handspun sweater. Yeah...

Handspun Oatmeal Merino

Handspun Oatmeal Merino


That's about 1200 yards of handspun worsted weight yarn. It was my first time spinning from a pin drafted fleece. In this case, it was a merino fleece. There's a very good chance that I will knit Laura Chau's Carter Cardigan with the yarn, though I will have to measure my swatches to be sure that the gauge will work. One of the sweaters that I almost have completed is also one of Laura's patterns. She designs really nice, classic and flattering sweaters, and her patterns are well written. So I really hope the gauge works out, because I look forward to working from her patterns again!


Since I've already fawned over a few fiber people whose work I love, I might as well add one more, to end the post. It's no surprise that I love Adrian of Hello Yarn's dyeing. It's hard to catch her shop updates, so I especially prize her fiber, and it took me a long time to figure out how I wanted to spin up this stuff:

Figgish Handspun

Figgish Handspun

Figgish Handspun


This handspun is from Shetland top, in her Figgish colorway. I have about 8 oz. of a heavy worsted, and I have no idea what I'll do with it. Which is fine, because it makes me happy just to look at it as-is.


I have purposely not talked about my biggest current project, which is spinning 40 oz. of top in 20 different colors for the Tour De Fleece. I think I'll wait until that's done, so I have something left to post about next time. I will say that it's going well, and that there is a growing pile of beautiful DK weight skeins sitting in my office.

14 Comments:

Blogger Rebecca said...

Ohhhh, wow. It's 30C today where I live, and humid, and I know what you mean about being uninspired to finish wool sweaters, but that pile of merino is beautiful. It looks so sproingy!

7/18/2010 3:51 PM  
Blogger Linda said...

Lovely socks as always! I must try and get some Hello Yarn fibre, the colours are always great.

7/21/2010 11:39 AM  
Blogger Laughingrat said...

Lovely spinning and knitting. I find your altered-fractal method interesting since I'm spinning my first three-ply; maybe I should try something similar.

7/21/2010 10:18 PM  
Anonymous ~margaret aka dragonflysock said...

Lovely socks, and lovely spinning! The colors are so very pretty.

8/19/2010 3:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love that fractal idea, and your variation. It occurs to me that a lot of my wildly colored rovings would look quite elegant spun up like that. Hmm...

8/25/2010 4:18 AM  
Anonymous Knitting Patterns for Babies said...

Reading this information, I am satisfied to show that I have a very excellent uncanny feeling I found out exactly what I needed. I most undoubtedly will make certain to do not forget this web site and provides it a glance on a continuing basis.

9/07/2012 2:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This was a really fantastic post that I really do appreciate.business logo

3/05/2013 1:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with this article completely, I must thank you for posting such helpful facts.how to write essay

3/05/2013 1:12 AM  
Blogger Harikesh Chauhan said...

Great post . It takes me almost half an hour to read the whole post. Definitely this one of the informative and useful post to me. Thanks for the share.

Melt spun fibres and yarns - FET supplies bespoke extrusion equipment for the manufacture of absorbable and resorbable yarns, fibres and polymers.

5/29/2013 2:15 AM  
Anonymous Canton Fair said...

This article is very good and the users are really sharing nice thoughts. Thanks a lot for giving everyone an exceptionally splendid possiblity to read in detail from this blog. I like the valuable information you provide in your articles.

6/06/2013 11:57 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

En güzel Chat Odaları | Sohbet Odaları sitemize sizide bekleriz. Eğer Türk Chat yapmak istiyorsanız islami sohbet sitemize gelin. türk sohbet yada ihanet et tercih senin. En güzel islami chat sitesi sizlerle. Bütün Sitelerimiz Şunlardır; istanbul sohbet izmir sohbet adana sohbet ankara sohbet antalya sohbet hollanda sohbet almanya sohbet belçika sohbet afyon sohbet aydın sohbet artvin sohbet amasya sohbet ağrı sohbet bilecik sohbet balıkesir sohbet
Tabiki hepsi bu kadar değil diğer sitelerimizde şunlar;
mardin sohbet malatya sohbet konya sohbet
trabzon sohbet
konya sohbet
kayseri sohbet
seviyeli sohbet
bedava sohbet
sohbet

10/26/2015 5:51 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...


mobil sohbet
sohbet
sohbet odalari
chat odalari
chat
ankara sohbet
istanbul sohbet
izmir sohbet
bursa sohbet
mobil chat

4/14/2016 2:30 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Sohbet
Chat
Sohbet odalari
Chat odalari
Sohbet sitesi
Chat sitesi
istanbul Sohbet
ankara Sohbet
izmir Sohbet
bursa Sohbet
mobil Sohbet

4/14/2016 2:31 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Sohbet
Chat
Sohbet odalari
Chat odalari
Cinsel Sohbet
Gabile Sohbet
Pasif Sohbet

7/29/2016 9:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home