Sunday, April 03, 2011

Work In Progress

But let's start off with the big finished one! It's a log cabin style blanket, based on the Mason Dixon pattern Joseph's Blankie Of Many Colors. I spun the yarn last summer, from two Spunky Eclectic samplers, resulting in about 2 oz. each of 20 different colors. I used 17 of the 20 colors in this blanket, and didn't run out of any of them. I swatched with one of the more "average" skeins, drew a diagram of the entire blanket, and extrapolated from the swatch how much of each color I'd need for the blanket. Thank you, math, for saving the day! Also, thank you luck. When you're dealing with handspun, the math can only take you so far. I'm very pleased that things worked out. I have leftovers of everything, and have already completed a smaller project with about half of them, leaving enough aside for any future darning needs.

Baby's Handspun Rainbow Log Cabin Blanket

Baby's Handspun Rainbow Log Cabin Blanket

Baby's Handspun Rainbow Log Cabin Blanket

Baby's Handspun Rainbow Log Cabin Blanket


Wileycomma has asked about a photo of the back. I'll see if I can get one of those next weekend.

For this blanket I used the more traditional technique of binding off every color, and then picking up stitches for the next color when it was time to knit on that side of the blanket again. It creates a little ditch between the colors, which I actually like quite a lot. But I think it would be interesting to knit a blanket without binding off, but instead by just knitting an extra row (half ridge), and leaving those stitches on a holder until it's time to knit them again. I'd like to see the contrast in the overall look and drape of the blanket. But it will be a while before I get to knitting a second one of these.



I would have finished that blanket sooner, but like most crafters, I got a little distracted from the big project. It was hard not to be. Some of the pieces are done:

Baby Sweater Mosaic For Blog
(a preview -- more details in upcoming blog posts)



The Work In Progress, namesake of this blog post? He won't be here until July (knock on wood) to receive all his woolly gifts. He's waiting as patiently as he can.

Lots of baby knits to come. :-D

20 Comments:

Anonymous Julia said...

This post, and its inspiring photographs, really made my morning! What a beautiful and beautifully executed project!

4/03/2011 9:57 AM  
Blogger Maggie said...

Hey! I don't usually have a strong feeling about log cabin blankets, but yours is seriously beautiful!

4/03/2011 10:11 AM  
Blogger Cookie said...

Gorgeous blanket and adorable baby things.

4/03/2011 1:15 PM  
Anonymous Donna said...

The blanket is beautiful, and so is your news :)

4/03/2011 1:30 PM  
Blogger Misty said...

Gorgeous knits! The blanket is so stunning! I want one. :) I hope my knitting is that colorful one day.

4/03/2011 2:47 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Lucky baby!! Beautiful blanket and clothing! I'm so excited for you! :) :) :)

4/03/2011 4:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That blanket is simply *stunning*. I'm still staring at it! Beautiful work. I may have to see about getting one of those samplers for myself! Jeez!

And the baby knits are lovely too! I particularly like the reddish sweater in the top left. I bet my niece would look adorable in that...

4/03/2011 4:50 PM  
Blogger Jaimie said...

I think that is my favorite log cabin I have ever seen. The colors are gorgeous.

4/03/2011 10:37 PM  
Blogger Jodi said...

Aw, lots of cozy little baby sweaters. I'm especially enamored of the little blue one with the cabled yoke. Holy cow, that's an amazing log cabin blanket! That's going to be one lucky kid. :-)

Wishing you all the best.

4/04/2011 12:07 AM  
Blogger jessie said...

Congratulations! Knit on.

Beautiful FOs, by the way.

4/04/2011 5:37 AM  
Anonymous TChemGrrl said...

All those WIPs and FOs make me so happy. Congrats!

4/05/2011 1:36 PM  
Blogger Lorette said...

How exciting on the baby news! The knits are all gorgeous. I love the sweaters and the log cabin blanket!

4/06/2011 11:49 AM  
Blogger sally said...

congratulations! and also- thank you so much for posting FO shots of the blanket. your previous post about your intent to spin all the fiber actually inspired me to learn to spin. now to find a teacher... :) the blanket is gorgeous!

4/06/2011 1:17 PM  
Anonymous Ivete said...

LOVE the blanket! And congratulations =)

4/24/2011 9:14 AM  
Blogger Beverly said...

Your blanket is gorgeous and the baby knits are adorable. It will be well dressed baby.

4/25/2011 9:48 PM  
Blogger Ro said...

That's one of the most beautiful MD Log Cabins I've seen. Your handspun is delicious in it. Love this!

6/08/2011 1:11 AM  
Blogger Jamie said...

Your log cabin blanket is STUNNING!

9/03/2011 1:00 PM  
Anonymous Knitting Needle Conversion Charts said...

I'm so glad you posted this because I have a whole wool blanket to knit with this technique and i needed a good dose of inspiration from you to get motivated again...Thank you so much for posting!

9/06/2012 4:43 AM  
Blogger MynetSohbet said...



Pasif sohbet
Gabile Sohbet
Lezbiyen Sohbet
Lez Sohbet
Evli Sohbet
Swinger Sohbet
Swinger Chat
Dul Sohbet
Dul Chat
Lez Chat
Gay Sohbet
Seks Sohbet

Cinsel Sohbet

Lez sohbet



Travesti Sohbet
Seks Sohbet

Görüntülü Sohbet
Kameralı Sohbet
Travesti Sohbet Odaları

Canlı Chat

3/20/2015 3:17 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...


Sohbet
Chat
Sohbet odalari
Chat odalari
Cinsel Sohbet
Gabile Sohbet
Pasif Sohbet
Sohbet sitesi
Chat sitesi
istanbul Sohbet
ankara Sohbet
izmir Sohbet
bursa Sohbet
mobil Sohbet

4/14/2016 2:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home