Friday, February 17, 2006

this is much better

Corrugated ribbing was definitely the right choice.

Vertical Stripes corrugated rib hem


I know the photo is a little dark. I took it last night, because it was supposed to be dark and rainy today, anyway. And of course, there was just a break in the clouds 5 minutes ago, giving me gorgeous natural light. d'oh. The colors are a bit off (perhaps a little bit more contrast than in real life), but the flash just about killed the look of it.

I'm really happy with how the hem turned out. I decided to go simple with the color order. In the body of the sweater, not every color is repeated for the same number of rows, and the purple gets an extra row in between the medium and dark blue. But I thought those details would be obscured by being purled in the corrugated ribbing, so I just went with two rows of each color, in the approximate order they'll appear later. I chose to do the purled part in the motif colors because I really love the blending effect you get from the purl bumps.

If anybody is interested in the technical details, I decided to go down to 296 stitches for the ribbing (about 90% of the number of body stitches, and a number divisible by 4), and then used Lucia's increase calculator to figure out how to increase evenly around to get up to 332 stitches for the body. And because most of the increases were done after 8 knit stitches, the corrugated ribbing (which is 2x2) made it almost impossible to screw up that spacing. Good deal.

Can I finish the first pattern repeat this weekend? Maybe if the weather really, really sucks. And if another power outage doesn't force me to miss work time today. (We had a random one yesterday, and it looks like it's going to be mighty windy out today.)

7 Comments:

Blogger Landstown Poultry said...

I really love how that ribbing turned out. It looks lovely.

2/17/2006 10:03 AM  
Blogger CrazyFiberLady said...

That is absolutely beautiful. Thanks for the link to the increase calculator as well! How very handy.

2/17/2006 12:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The corrugated ribbing looks great, and those colors are looking really nice together. Can't wait to see the first repeat!

2/17/2006 2:49 PM  
Blogger AnneB said...

Your instinct was right on the first ribbing tried. This one is beautiful and the colors do show. Thanks for the link to the knitting calculator page.

2/17/2006 4:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ooh, I like that. Very sunsetty. I can finally picture your colorway, too.

2/17/2006 7:09 PM  
Blogger Becki said...

Pretty!

As you have probably already figured out, I've selected my pattern and am working on it now. :)

2/19/2006 8:26 PM  
Blogger Terri said...

Hi Rebekkah, Nice job on the ribbing. I like the soft colors. I'm just about to cast on the ribbing for my vest and will check out Lucia's increase first. Good timing for me. Thanks for posting.

2/20/2006 2:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home