Tuesday, January 31, 2006

banished to the stash drawer

Wow!

A record number of comments yesterday, with sock advice and sock mourning. Thank you so much to everybody who commented. I got some great advice. Jessica's suggestion of steeking and adding a button was actually the first thing I thought of. I don't know whether I'll do that, but I guess great minds think alike. Also, Ariel's suggestion to turn the leg into the foot, and then add ribbing to the rest of the foot (which would be the leg) was inspired. It would involve tons of frogging, as the leg is way too long to be a foot, but it's still not a bad idea. And of course, all the comments with encouragement to finish the sock, or take what I have now and salvage it as some other type of object, were great.

I did take the advice to try to wet block the sock before giving up. Something I would have ordinarily thought of on my own, if I weren't in panic mode. I did that, and set it to dry overnight. Unfortunately, things were the same when I woke up this morning:

the sock is dead


So what am I going to do with it? Right now, I'm going to stuff it in the back of one of my stash drawers, and try to forget about it. I'll do something with it, eventually, but right now it just makes me too sad. The reason I was working on the socks now, and so quickly, is because I wanted to finish them for a sock contest at my LYS. But I'm not going to knit a second sock that won't go on my foot, which means I won't be submitting a pair of Komi socks for the contest. Instead, I think I'll submit my Go With The Flow socks:

Go With The Flow socks


I guess that would be a good submission because I actually cast on for the first of these socks at the very first Thursday night knitting group I attended there. They're not as spectacular, and not as likely to win as the Komi socks would have been, but they're really nice socks.

The Sweaters From Camp Knitalong doesn't start for two weeks. This means two more weeks of Ingeborg knitting! At some point, I'll actually knit my swatches for the SFCKAL, too. I'm close to needing to decide what to do about armhole steeks for Ingeborg. Even with C's offer of her sewing machine and sewing expertise, I'm again thinking of adding steek stitches to crochet. The decision probably won't be made until when I'm right up to the row where I need to decide whether or not to start those steek stitches. Should be fun!

EDIT: Oh, and I was happy to see all the quote guesses. That exact line comes from the Sondheim musical Into The Woods. Are those exact words also used in an English translation of the original Cinderella fairy tale? Obviously, it's from that story, but as the original is in German, I meant that exact quote to refer to Into The Woods. (Now I'm inspired to change the words to the "your fault" song, to blame someone for the sock fiasco. ;-)

5 Comments:

Blogger Landstown Poultry said...

"Into the Woods" is indeed a place that quote comes from. However, that exact line is from Cinderella as well. :-)

1/31/2006 11:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Again, a sarcastic thank you for putting a song from that musical into my head two days in a row. I'm going to start singing "Last Midnight" at you, if you do it again. @_@

On another note, I'm very happy that you'll be doing something with the sock; it's too pretty to trash and forget. And stepping away from it for a bit will help, too.

~schizospider

1/31/2006 11:04 AM  
Blogger Jen said...

You have to go back to the original Brothers Grimm version of Cinderella, but there are references to cutting off a bit of the heel to make the glass slipper fit one of the stepsisters (the other one cuts off a bit of toe).

1/31/2006 11:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok here's the actual Grimm quotes (from a book my German granmother read to me when I was a wee one)

"Hau ein Stueck von der Ferse ab! Wenn du Koenigin bist, brauchst du nicht mehr zu Fuss zu gehen."

Translated: "Chop off a bit of the heel. When you are queen, you'll no longer have to walk." Said by the mother to her daughter.

The other sister cut off a toe to fit into the shoe. Doncha love it! :) It's a bit extreme, though, even though that sock was gorgeous.

1/31/2006 6:34 PM  
Blogger e's knitting and spinning blog said...

Ohh i'm working on the Go With the Flow socks right now. I love Evelyn Clark's patterns. Yours look gorgeous!

2/03/2006 3:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home