Tuesday, February 14, 2006

plan B

Purl when you can wasn't working out. I didn't like how it looked, and I realized I had two choices: keep on going and end up with a sweater that had a nagging problem, or rip it out and start again. The choice was easy. Say hello to corrugated ribbing:

Vertical Stripes - beginning of corrugated ribbing

I've also decided to go up a needle size. I think my gauge tightened up from the swatch to the sweater. Plus, the Inox needles were really starting to bug me. The joins just don't play well with this yarn. So I'll be knitting the sweater on Addi Turbo size 1 needles, which are 2.5mm instead of 2.25. Of course, I still have to deal with the Inox needles for the ribbing. Looking through the instructions at the beginning of the book, and the patterns within, I decided that the best way to do corrugated ribbing would be on smaller needles, with about 10% fewer stitches than I'd have on the body. So I'm working on 296 stitches, on 2.25mm needles, for the ribbing.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

sorry to see you had to rip. i wonder if the purl when you can technique is better for darker FIs. i agree with you, the pic from the other day made it more visible than i had expected. corrugated ribbing will be really nice though :)

2/14/2006 11:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Funny, I just got through a couple of rows of ribbing, and started to wonder if I should've gone with the PWYC. Arrgh!

2/14/2006 11:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't know what the purl when you can technique is, but I read that if you purl after a knit stitch and move the yarn clockwise instead of counterclockwise, it's a tighter stitch. If that's Purl when you can, then I just learned something!

- MJ

2/15/2006 10:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home