Tuesday, February 07, 2006

my sock mojo is returning

I tried really hard to work on Ingeborg during the Superbowl, but I was just in the mood for socks. I worked on socks last year during the superbowl, too. There's just something poetic about creating footwear while watching football.

Lorna's Laces sock, Feb. 7, 2006


mmm... Lorna's Laces. 64 stitches, 3x1 ribbing, basic cuff-down sock construction, with details made up as I go along.

And while taking sock pictures, I realized that I never took photos of the gorgeous Koigu (redundant, much?) that Rebecca sent me, in exchange for my Nordic Mittens leftovers. (She's going to knit the mittens with black as a foreground color, using one of the skeins Brown Sheep accidentally sent to Alpaca Fleece when they should have been sending them my cone of black yarn for Ingeborg. I love how this stuff works out! And if anybody is wondering, according to my scale, there is more than enough of each of the contrast colors for at least two pairs of mittens. For everything except the green, I think there's enough for 3-4 pairs of mittens.)

my first Koigu


This lovely yarn will eventually become a pair of socks. I don't know which pattern, yet, but right now I'm leaning toward something lace. My first Koigu! I'm so excited.

Right now my goal for Ingeborg is to get through the third pattern repeat before starting my Vertical Stripes sweater for the knitalong. Maybe I'll go for the fourth pattern repeat, but I'd really like to set it aside at the end of a pattern repeat, and I don't know if I'll be able to push through to the end of the fourth in a week, at the rate I've been knitting lately. It might not be a bad idea for me to take it easy this week, and just knit simple things like socks. I don't want to be burned out on colorwork before the SFCKAL starts.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the colorway on that first pair of socks (I like the Koigu color too, but I'm particularly fond of earthier tones). I think it's actually a really good strategy to knit simple things so you can rest up for (and look forward to) the complexity of the SFCKAL.

2/07/2006 9:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're absolutely right, watching sports is perfect for having a good sock-knit! I knit them preferrably while watching hockey on TV, and yep - it is poetic :) The sock's turned out so great!

I love that Koigu yarn by the way, the colorline is fantastic and I'm looking forward to see what you're gonna make with it!
Best wishes from Austria!

2/07/2006 2:11 PM  
Blogger Tipper said...

Those stripes are perfect!

2/07/2006 4:35 PM  
Blogger trainlady said...

The Koigu colorway is perfect. Do you happen to know what it is? I must have some.

Thanks

2/07/2006 6:04 PM  
Blogger JulieLoves2Knit said...

Just wanted you to know I've added your a link to your blog on my blog - I love your color work and hope to start something similar once the Olympics are over. I love doing socks and will look at the pattern your working on - it's great.
I'm really looking for a fair isle in sport weight - cardigan maybe - maybe I'll look at Dale of Norway stuff - any suggestions?
Thanks
Knit on

2/07/2006 6:39 PM  
Blogger Laughingrat said...

Your new sock is beautiful, and I think you'll agree that Koigu is a real pleasure to knit with. Nothing I've tried so far is quite like it.

2/21/2006 11:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home