Tuesday, December 27, 2005

cleaning the slate and the side table

Two finished projects in two days! Wow! And if I really want to be smug about things, it's technically two finished projects in one day, as I grafted the Jaywalker toes this morning, not last night.

Veste Everst - modeled
Where the heck did those breasts come from? I guess that's what happens when I wear an aran weight garment with cables. Instant 2-cup-size bonus! I had photos of me wearing a collared, button down shirt, like in the pattern photo. But I'm such a hopeless fashion idiot that I couldn't figure out what I was supposed to do with the collar. So I trashed the photos, because I'm sure they would have landed me on some sort of fasion-don'ts website, somewhere. Me trying to be hip is a bad idea.

Veste Everest - done
Here's the boobless photo.


Sorry for the darkness of the photos. I took them this evening because it's supposed to be overcast tomorrow, anyway. It's really hard to photograph this super dark green wool. If you're craving slightly nicer photography of this sweater, there's always this post from a few days ago.

Pattern: Veste Everest (34" size)
Designer: Veronik Avery
Source: Fall 2005 Interweave Knits
Yarn: recycled from a sweater that was way too big on me. 100% wool, aran weight, three ply (though they were barely spun together).
modifications: I did one extra pattern repeat in the body to make it a reasonable length. I knit the edgings on smaller needles, which I like a lot.

Finishing up the Jaywalker socks and the vest means I'll be starting the new year with almost a clean knitting slate. The only slightly old WIP I have is the lace scarf, which I'm not in a particular hurry to finish. It's nice somewhat relaxing and interesting knitting when I'm in the mood. I also have the Ingeborg hem, but I can't get past that until the black yarn arrives. With this relatively clean slate, I cast on tonight for some super fancy socks. More in a couple of days, when I have something interesting to show.

On a completely different note, I figured out what to do with one of the tchotchkes I was given this past weekend. Tiny brass watering can? The obvious answer is to fill it with knitting supplies! Such a Martha Stewart moment when I thought this up.

notgardeningtools


It's so nice to not have my chibi and crochet hooks flinging themselves off of the side table whenever I'm in need of them. Yay for tchotchkes!

5 Comments:

Blogger EvaLux said...

your vest is gorgeous!!! I was wanting to start making it too, but your last post made me decide against it :) I'm very top heavy and I do NOT need 2 cup sizes added LOL. I might make something similar and end the cabling between my waist and the bottom of the boobyshelf :)
I love what you did with the tchotchke (I'll have to look that word up to know what it means :)).

Cheers Eva

12/28/2005 3:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been swatching like mad before starting VE...I'm also using an aran weight yarn, and have tried US 6 and 7, still ending up a half inch too small! What size did you end up using, if you don't mind me asking? It might save me a few more swatches!

12/28/2005 10:04 AM  
Blogger Theresa said...

I'm glad to know that all the cool kids are making vests these days - I have to make one for the Master Knitting Level 2 and haven't worn any in quite some time . . .

12/28/2005 10:05 AM  
Blogger monkeemaven-fruitcakeknits said...

Superboobarific qualities and all, the vest looks good!

12/28/2005 12:03 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Nice! I think I need one if it adds a two cup advantage....

12/28/2005 3:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home