Thursday, December 22, 2005

Jaywalker 1 - photo and technical stuff

Jaywalker 1


Jaywalker 1 is done. Some preliminary thoughts:
  • I love almost everything about Cherry Tree Hill supersock. I love the sheen, how tightly it's spun (and how sproingy it is), the way it feels running through my hands, the sturdiness of the fabric, and the colors that blow my mind.
  • This colorway turned out to have more orange in it than I thought. Not a problem, but just a lesson that it's hard to tell what these sorts of variegated yarns will really look like until you knit them into something.
  • This pattern hugs my leg and foot.
  • This pattern also eats yarn the way mosquitoes drink my blood. (excessively)
  • The great thing about socks is that they can be an outlet for your wild and crazy side, without making you a complete fashion disaster. My wild and crazy side is about the size of a sock.
Notes to self, so sock 2 can match sock 1:
  • Did gusset decreases past what pattern recommends, until there are only 14 stitches (instead of 16) on needles 2 and 4.
  • Ignore instructions about toe. Knit until correct length, ending on plain row. First row of toe shaping has regular decreases. Second row has no decreases on needles 1 and 4, but decreases on needles 2 and 3, to make up for uneven stitch counts. Next row is like row 1. Then do normal alternation between decrease and non-decrease rows, until 7 stitches left on each needle, ending on that decrease row. Knit stitches from needle 1 onto needle 4. Put 2 and 3 on 1 needles. Kitchener 28 (14 and 14) stitches to make toe. (And if anybody is wondering, yes, this is the shortest toe I've ever knit, with the longest kitchenering I've ever done at the tip. I think I like it. Time will tell.)
I split the 100 gram hank a while ago, and didn't do it quite evenly. I am very relieved to see that I used the slightly lighter half for the first sock, because I had maybe 5 grams leftover (less than I normally have for socks for me). I should have plenty more left after the second sock. Next time, I don't think I'm going to bother splitting 100 gram sock yarn hanks like this. It would have been nice to have all the leftovers in one ball.

Knitpicks sent me an email yesterday to say that my yarn is in the mail. It's been so long since I've had a sweater's worth of yarn arrive on my doorstep. This is very exciting. I'm going to make myself wait to swatch until at least after I've officially announced the knitalong details, and set a start date. It will be difficult.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love that sock, and I especially love the colors of that yarn! I covet!

I started my own Jaywalker because of your sock. This will be my first attempt at a sock, so wish me luck.

I have got to get some yarn like yours.

Susan

12/24/2005 1:14 PM  
Blogger Sophie_vf said...

so glad you blogged this...I've been thinking of this pattern for a while, and I happen to have some CTH supersock coming my way in the mail.

I don't think I'll bother splitting the hank either. I never manage to quite do that evenly. Thanks for the tip!

12/24/2005 1:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home