Tuesday, December 27, 2005

I finished socks and my needles got bent.

I think last night was the first time I watched Monday Night Football. As it was the last "episode", it was also the last time. But the Patriots were playing, and it was so easy to stay up way past my bedtime finishing socks. I can't believe how quickly I knit the second Jaywalker. Yesterday evening I had barely started the gusset. (Did the Patriots win? I went to bed partway through the third quarter. The Jets didn't look like they had a chance, but I suppose you never know.)

finished CTH Jaywalkers
This is one of those pairs of socks that looks kind of funny shaped off the foot, but fit like a dream.

finished CTH Jaywalkers - modeled
The second one I knit is on my left foot. Pooling, much? You can't see the full extent of it, because for some reason I'm wearing both socks off center in this photo. But the right side of the left sock is pink pink pink, and the left is stripey. I think that started when I finished the gusset decreases. Don't know why it didn't happen on the first sock. Only me, with my small feet and preference for very snug socks, could make a yarn with such short color segments pool like this. It's a gift!


Pattern: Jaywalker socks
Designer: Grumperina
Source: Magknits.com
Yarn: Cherry Tree Hill supersock
needles: size 1 DPNs
modifications, and other thoughts on the pattern and yarn: this post


bendyneedles
bendy! The other two are just as bendy, but it was hard to hold 5 needles and show off the bendiness to its fullest. I swear I'm not a super tight knitter. I think this is partially a symptom of me knitting in front of a hot fire with moisturized hands. My next socks will probably be knit on size 0 DPNs. I hope they don't get bendier than this.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great looking socks. I'm going to have to jump on the jaywalker bandwagon myself.

12/27/2005 9:49 AM  
Blogger Liz said...

I am so glad to know I am not alone with the bendy needles. I love bamboo, but I found the smaller sizes just bend to easily. Once they're bent, I can't stand to use them. Hmph!

The socks look awesome though!

12/27/2005 10:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pats games are great for socks, although Sox games are better (and it's nice to know I wasn't the only one up past my bedtime rooting for the hometown team and knitting socks). Yes, Pats won, 30-something to 21. They had Flutie and Testaverde in QB-ing against each other towards the end of the 4th.

The bendy-needles thing is probably the only thing that's going to make me try using 2 circs again, since metal DPNs are not as much fun to work with.

12/27/2005 2:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Umm . . . I'm afraid the same thing is going to happen with size 0 DPNs. I've been known to bend metal needles, too, especially at small gauge. I can even get it to bend at 45 degrees.

12/27/2005 4:26 PM  
Blogger Theresa said...

Word of advice on the bendiness - go with the flow. Look at it as the needles' natural adaptation to the curve of your hands. I find that when they bend, they don't break unless I try to (ever so gently) bend them back straight.

(Isn't that some deep metaphor out there somewhere?)

12/28/2005 10:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, those needles are out of control! I have a friend who always does that to her needles. Anyway, your Jaywalkers are beautiful! I think the first that I've seen knit out of CTH. Would you like them to appear in the gallery?

12/29/2005 1:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home