Thursday, December 29, 2005

catching up on comments, and some other stuff

1. Thanks for all the comments on the vest and socks! I might wear the "superboobarific" vest to the knitting group today. I even studied the picture in IK, so I can make another attempt at wearing a hip collared shirt underneath, without looking like a dweeb. Some replies to comments:
  • On the bendy needles - I blogged about it because these needles have bent so much more than any others I've used, including bamboo needles of the same size. In the past it hasn't affected how I like the needles, but these were starting to bug me towards the end.
  • definition of tchotchke
  • Kerry asked about what needle size I used for Veste Everest. I used a size 6, with a size 4 for the bottom ribbing and neck/armhole edgings. But as everybody's tension varies, especially if they're using different yarns, I'm not sure how helpful this information is. Good luck with your vest!
  • Grumperina (the Jaywalker designer) asked if I'd like my socks to be included in the gallery. Sure! I didn't even know there was a Jaywalker gallery, as this was one of those rare patterns I didn't extensively research before knitting. I'll have to check it out.
I think that covers it, but if you left a comment that I overlooked, and are waiting for an answer or comment on something, please let me know.

2. I cast on for the Austrian-patterned stockings from the book Socks Socks Socks a couple of days ago. I ripped them out last night. I should have paid more attention to Eunny's problems with trying to knit them in a splitty superwash yarn. I really don't think regular superwash nylon-blend sock yarn is the way to go for these socks. Not only was the splittyness getting to me, but I was also getting a massive headache from trying to follow the charts and pay attention to the teeny tiny stitches. Normally tiny stitches aren't a problem for me, but with that much texture going on, it was difficult. I'm going to wait until I have just the right yarn for this project. And when I do, I'm going to enlarge the charts about 5 times, so I don't kill my eyes trying to read them properly.

3. Ripping out my small amount of progress on those socks means the only active project I have on the needles is the lace scarf. So that's what I'll be working on through the weekend. And maybe, just maybe, I'll have the yarn for Ingeborg by the time I finish it? Probably not, but a girl can hope. If not, I have a few small projects I can start. The only large scale project I have a complete stash for right now is the sweater for the Sweaters From Camp knitalong, which will wait until February.

4. I spent some time yesterday going through the new-to-me blogs nominated for the Knit Blog Awards. I ended up adding a few to my Bloglines listings. The one I really liked, but hadn't heard of before, is Lickety Knit. So go check out her blog, as well as the knit blog awards. I nominated blogs in all 4 categories, and 3 of the 4 of them made it to the "finals", which is nice. And I was able to find a blog that I really like in that 4th category, too, so I'm happy with my votes, though I wish more of the nominated blogs made the final cut. There are some great ones in the lists at the bottom of the voting screen.

5. This is likely my last post until Monday. I'm not feeling great, and I'm cranky because I'm unable to work on the projects I most want to work on, for a variety of reasons. This does not make for great blog updates. So, see you guys next year.

1 Comments:

Blogger DeeAnn said...

I just wanted to say that your vest looks great! I would have been concerned that the heavy yarn with heavy cables would have made any body shape look chunky - if it just gives you boobs, I'll have to try one! :) I did turn out very nice, and very flattering!

12/31/2005 2:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home