Saturday, November 03, 2007

Creepy, Crawly, and STICKY

(First off, I must say that I've had the Can Can song stuck in my head since before my last post. And then yesterday, while I was browsing in a bookstore, a jazzy version of the Can Can song came in over the Muzak speakers. Or perhaps I'm just going insane, poisoned by having my recommended yearly allowance of Can Can concentrated into one week. Condensed Can Can! augh! Though it's starting to morph into the Facts of Life theme song, which, while equally horrific, is at least variety...)

The new issue of The Anticraft has arrived, and among its creepy, crawly, and sticky offerings are my lace scarf. Go to The Anticraft to see the pattern, as well as all the other goodies in this issue. But I'll post some photos here, too:

ACscarf_cello_softglow

ACscarf_wood

ACscarf_buggies

ACscarf_web


This scarf started out as a brainstorm between me and Zabet. Keep in mind that this is only half of a complete package. There were some technical difficulties with the second half of this project, so the concept won't be truly complete for a little while.

Zabet gets credit for the artistic rendering of "Some Pig". She drew it out, and I translated her stylizing of the letters into lace. Erssie asked about the design of the lace in the scarf. I did not use stitch dictionaries for any of it, though it's simple enough that I'm sure the patterning does exist in stitch dictionaries out there. In fact, I was looking through a book (perhaps Victorian Lace Today?) in the bookstore after I finished the scarf, and I saw a shawl that used what looked like the same stitch pattern as the webby ends of the scarf. Then I looked through another book (Folk Shawls, I believe), and learned that I "unvented" the method I used to start the pointy ends of the scarf. The repeating bug pattern in the middle took a while to get just right, involving a lot of graph paper and swatching. It's amazing how easy it is to inadvertently knit a leaf with lace. No wonder there are so many leaf lace patterns out there! It took a while before I got my bugs to be bugs, and not delicate little leaves. (Spiders don't eat leaves, dammit!)

Do make sure to look at the other projects in this issue of The Anticraft. I think this may be my favorite issue, yet. Some of my other favorite projects from this issue are the Pumpkin Pasties (would look delicious if we hadn't just made FOUR pumpkin pies in the last 2 weeks), Black Widow (what I want to bring to the Pumpkin Festival next year), and Spider's Parlor (I want a pet).

So there's one secret project revealed! Please let me know if you have any questions about or problems with the pattern. None of the lacework in it is difficult at all. If you can knit, purl, yarnover, k2tog, and ssk (or left leaning decrease of your choice), you can knit this scarf.

I'm still waiting to hear back from knitty about my other secret project. It should be soon, either way, since I believe the Winter issue is due out in early December. Keep your toes crossed!

Labels: , ,

10 Comments:

Blogger benazeer said...

Wow. That's really beautiful. And slightly creepy, especially given how you framed the photo.

11/03/2007 4:15 PM  
Blogger Marlena said...

I saw that scarf on Ravelry. It's so clever, and as a huge Charlotte's Web fan, of course I love it.

11/03/2007 5:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love it! Pretty and delicate, but also whimsical and clever. Congrats on its publication!

11/03/2007 10:49 PM  
Blogger LaurieM said...

I like it. Very nice.

11/04/2007 6:08 PM  
Blogger BerryKnitty said...

Wow. Amazingly beautiful! This pattern's going on the list.

11/05/2007 11:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OOOOOHH! Charlottes Web is one of my favorite books! I've added this to the TOP of my ravelry queue!

Thanks for making it.

11/06/2007 9:26 AM  
Blogger pamela wynne said...

Effing genius. I love it!

11/06/2007 7:26 PM  
Blogger Suzanna said...

I just discovered your blog. So lovely!! The lace is "terrific"! ........ oh- that's the next lace work!

11/08/2007 12:10 AM  
Blogger Lotta said...

Congrats on publishing another pattern! Very cool, pretty and funny at the same time! :)

11/19/2007 2:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh.My.God. Love the shawl/stole/scarf. I love it!

1/04/2008 10:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home