Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Cobblestoned

cobblestone unmodeled

Cobblestone Modeled


Cobblestone Pullover, designed by Jared Flood, from the Fall '05 Interweave Knits.

I used Harrisville Highland yarn, in the color charcoal, on size 6 and 7 (US) needles. It only took 5.75 skeins, including my swatch! The only major thing I changed was the sleeves. I knit the 2nd size (43.5"), which I think has you cast on for sleeves that are over 11" in circumference at the cuffs. I purposely knit them tighter than that, but even at 10", Alex and I both agreed that they were ridiculously loose. I cast on again, with 10 fewer stitches, for a circumference just over 8", knowing that I could block it a bit wider if necessary. I increased a bit more often than I otherwise would have for the rest of the sleeve, and all turned out well.

My biggest concern with this sweater was the garter stitch. Garter stitch likes to stretch vertically, and I didn't want the sweater to stretch out of shape -- especially since the garter is at the top, with the weight of the rest of the sweater pulling on it. As I was working the yoke, I tried to measure it while holding the sweater up, so it would be slightly stretched. It was tricky, but I think I made the right choice. Still, if I was going to change one thing about the sweater, I probably would have tightened up the yoke a bit more. Alex declares the sweater perfect, though, so I will leave it alone and be happy.

Some more photos:

Cobblestone Modeled
All those outdoor poses, and one of my favorites is a silly one I snapped while he was taking his shoes off, after the fact.

Cobblestone detail

Cobblestone short rows
short row detail


I'm again in love with this yarn. I put the sweater on to transport it to the basement for its first pre-blocking wash, and didn't want to take it off. It's got that perfect fuzzy, woolly feel to it, and is so warm and substantial. I'm pretty sure I'm going to use it for the next sweater I make for myself.


After the sweater was done, I spent a lot of time spinning. First I finished up the cream colored Shetland singles:

cream Shetland
448 yards!

I couldn't choose which photo to use, so here's another:
cream Shetland on niddy noddy


Here are all four shades together:
Shetland sampler in progress


I've since finished spinning the dark brown singles, too, and am waiting for some red BFL to arrive. So far the plan is a colorwork hat. I think that I'll use the 3 darker colors of the Shetland as the background, with the foreground design in cream. Then I'll line the hat with nice, soft BFL. This, of course, assumes that I will be able to successfully ply these singles and that they'll be about the right weight, and even enough for stranded colorwork that doesn't look like it was knit with my toes or earlobes. And if it all turns out nicely enough, I even know who's getting the hat. (I even chose red for the BFL especially for her.)

I do need to be careful with my spinning. I realized that I tend to lean towards the right when I spin, which was causing soreness in my back and right leg. The solution is to practice standing with my weight evenly distributed, feet shoulder width apart, and all those other things they taught you in middle school gym class that you thought you'd never use. Well, except I'm not doing squat-thrusts while spinning, no matter how humorous that sounds. I also won't have my last name written across my shirt, and will be in no danger of forgetting my locker combination.

Labels: , ,

31 Comments:

Blogger bbstewart said...

The sweater is beautiful! Can't wait to see the hat knit up.

10/23/2007 7:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the Cobblestone. It looks like a really good pattern. The candid shot is my favorite, too.

10/23/2007 7:58 AM  
Blogger Angelika said...

Your spinning is so fine. You do that on a spindle? Respect. How about a wheel? Think of all the yarn you could get done without backaches.

10/23/2007 8:17 AM  
Blogger Becki said...

I agree, your spinning looks very fine, but the spindle looks relatively heavy. How are you spinning such fine yarn on a heavy spindle (or am I mistaken). I am a new spinner, and I had been thinking a light spindle was needed for fine yarn, or else the singles would break. Either way, it looks beautiful! I wish I had the patience to spin laceweight.

10/23/2007 9:02 AM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

Alex looks great in his new sweater! I'm going to show the Cobblestone to my DH and see if he might like one as well!

10/23/2007 9:32 AM  
Blogger Theresa said...

Love the sweater!

10/23/2007 9:53 AM  
Blogger YawnOver said...

Dude, that is a seriously fantastic sweater. It's also in my queue, but yours makes me want to cast on today!

10/23/2007 10:25 AM  
Blogger wiscjennyann said...

The sweater is fabulous. It fits to a t! Oh and your singles, lovely! Beautiful work all around.

10/23/2007 10:32 AM  
Blogger BerryKnitty said...

The Cobblestone caught my eye in the recent IK issue as well. I love your version!! Awesome job!!

10/23/2007 11:02 AM  
Blogger Cookie said...

Your Cobblestone is beautiful. So is your very fine spinning.

10/23/2007 12:01 PM  
Blogger Casey said...

What a gorgeous sweater! I owe my hubby a sweater but first I have to finish the things I'm knitting for me! :)

Your spinning looks so even and lovely. I wish I could do that!

10/23/2007 12:02 PM  
Blogger Becki said...

I absolutely love that sweater. I definitely need to make it!

10/23/2007 12:22 PM  
Blogger fluffbuff said...

Cobblestone is beautiful!
Must add to knitting queue.

10/23/2007 12:39 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Gorgeous sweater, gorgeous spinning -- you're so prolific! :)

10/23/2007 3:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your Cobblestone Pullover is a great example of how you can think you don't really much like a pattern until you see it in exactly the right yarn and knit to fit just right. I really love how yours looks -- what a nice, wearable sweater! I hope Alex gets a lot of use out of it.

10/23/2007 7:59 PM  
Blogger - Sandi - said...

I agree with Rachel - I didn't much like the look of this jumper in the magazine, but now yours looks so fabulous that perhaps I'm beginning to change my mind...

10/24/2007 12:37 AM  
Blogger Elinor said...

Your Cooblestone is beautiful!!! I've been eyeing some Harrisville for a sweater for my husband but I wasn't sure I wanted to make the financial commitment for a manly sweater. I can't believe you only used 6 skeins! That's amazing. (runs off to get some)

10/24/2007 8:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very lovely Cobblestone you knit. It seems to be such a wearable sweater and it's on my to knit list.

10/24/2007 9:04 AM  
Blogger nicole said...

Great job on the cobblestone. Your pictures really show it off beautifully.
I'm almost done mine, and I hope it turns out as lovely as yours.

And your spinning! Oh my god, so perfect and fine!

10/24/2007 9:59 AM  
Blogger Marlena said...

Beautiful sweater, and terrific fit!

10/24/2007 12:29 PM  
Blogger Emily said...

I think the fit looks great, just pleasantly loosely-fitted all over, not huige at all.

And he looks lovely in it.

10/24/2007 1:49 PM  
Blogger Connie said...

What a great sweater. Lucky guy!

I didn't know that about garter stitch (that it stretches vertically); thanks for the tip. I do love the design. It's really nonfussy (good for guys), yet with enough detail that it's definitely not boring. That Jared has some great aesthetic sense! :) Of course, that was already evident from the beautiful photos he takes.

10/24/2007 5:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the Cobblestone pullover, it's def. on my list of things to knit. Maybe one for myself, even.

10/26/2007 2:26 AM  
Blogger Melissa Van Oort said...

The sweater is very nice. How would you go about tightening the yoke? Just pull tighter, or go down a needle size? Thanks for the information on the sleeve circ. and yoke stretching.

10/28/2007 7:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So very, very beautiful. All of it. The sweater seems to fit *perfectly*, and the singles... oh my, the singles! :-) Are you going to ply them, or leave them be?

10/28/2007 4:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, never mind, I missed the bit about how you were definitely planning to ply. Sorry! But be careful; those hanks are going to want to curl up on themselves when you are winding them into balls, or whatever it is you plan to do to make them ply-able.

10/28/2007 4:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The sweater looks great and your spinning is phenomenal! So fine and even!

10/28/2007 6:10 PM  
Blogger weaverknits said...

That is one handsome sweater! Thanks for the notes; I'm planning on making one for my Dad for Christmas, and your insights are very helpful.

10/29/2007 1:30 PM  
Blogger pamela wynne said...

Love your cobblestone! I think this is my favorite version that I've seen -- fit makes such a difference.

SO impressed with your handspun singles. What do you spin on?

10/29/2007 5:49 PM  
Blogger mari said...

love your cobblestone! I agree, the pattern calls for super wide sleeves, I wish I had made mine even narrower. I had a question about your wrapped stitches in the yoke. When wrapping during a purl row did you leave the yarn in front and then slip the stitch then take yarn to back and turn? I have some bigger holes when I wrap on a purl row that I would like.

thanks

10/30/2007 2:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excellent idea about measuring the yoke while holding the sweater up. I did it, too, and even stretched it a bit to measure. I'm super glad I did.

It's funny about the sleeves. I love how big they are!

11/04/2007 1:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home