Monday, May 29, 2006

now for the less criminally insane stuff

Using about 3/5 (which, if you remember third grade math, you will know is less than 2/3!) of my third of four skeins of cream colored yarn, I finished the Vertical Stripes body! Whoo! Of course, I still have to use more of that yarn to do the three needle bindoff for the shoulders. And let's not even start in on whether my dinky scale is accurate within more than, say, 5 grams. For now, I'm just happy that the body is (finally) done, and that I should have enough yarn of the same dye lot to at least knit the sleeves to the beginning of the cuffs.

Vertical Stripes - May 28, 2006


I guess the next steps are to crochet and cut the steeks, do a three needle bindoff for the shoulders, and then do a primary blocking. Most of the blocking I want to do is for width (which will simultaneously un-pucker the fabric), which is nice. I think I'm going to do a quick and dirty initial blocking before I start on the sleeves because, in theory, it would be nice to try on the sweater while I'm working on the sleeves. If I want to do that, it will be nice to have a sweater that is fairly accurate in circumference, so the sleeves act as they will when they're done, giving me a more accurate measure of how they're progressing in relation to my arms.

I plan to use the crochet method to secure the steeks, and have reread the section in Sweaters From Camp that covers it, as well as Eunny's description. They methods differ in a few ways, and I'm not sure yet which I'll use. Off the top of my head, the differences are chains vs. single crochets, and the direction to work in. SFC also describes a method to help secure the stitches across the entire bottom and top of the steek sections, though the photos are far from clear, so that's something I'll probably have to work out on my own.

I assume I'll start on the crocheting this week. Right now, I'm focusing on finishing a pair of socks that have been on the needles way too long. I'm tired of the socks, and am itching to cast on for Hederas in Lorna's Laces.

1 Comments:

Blogger AnneB said...

Just gorgeous!!! Maybe you have posted what color and dye lot you need to see if one of us has it? You are some fast knitter.

5/29/2006 9:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home