Thursday, May 11, 2006

Ingeborg is DONE!

Ingeborg Done

Ingeborg modeled, 1

Ingeborg modeled, 2
It was incredibly difficult to get a good modeled shot. I think there's something wonky with the camera, in that I couldn't get it to focus well when using the timer. Hopefully these are good enough.


pattern - Ingeborg, from Dale of Norway book 126 (smallest size)
yarn - Brown Sheep Naturespun sport
pattern alterations - I ignored row gauge, because you can with this pattern. (Just knit to the length you like, and pay close attention to sleeve increases.) I used steeks to shape the neckline, instead of knitting back and forth as the pattern tells you to do. I also eliminated the texture patterning on the hems, because I thought it might make the sweater look too busy. And I obviously opted to not do the lace edging, either.
what I'd do differently next time - I might consider doing the texture pattern on the hems next time. Maybe. I'll also make sure to bind off the shoulder stitches before steeking.
things I learned - I don't even know where to begin. I learned that blocking wires are helpful, but still don't take all the work out of blocking accurately. I learned that machine sewn steeks are very secure, and can be very flexible and stretchy when done correctly. I learned that advanced patterns like this might not tell you every detail, such as reminding you to pick up stitches for the button bands so that they overlap with the collar and hem. Perhaps most importantly, I learned that stuff like this really isn't brain surgery. This point was hammered home as I worked on hems last night while listening to an interview with a brain surgeon on Fresh Air.

I'm so overwhelmed right now that I feel like there are a few billion things I want to say but can't bring to mind. So... do you have any questions? Any photo requests? I'll leave it here, because I'm tired. I rushed to finish today so I can take Ingeborg to the knitting group tonight. But what I really want, now, is a nap.

26 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Totally Gorgeous!

Now I just have to get the nerve up for my Dale sweater, since I've got the materials and pattern already. But I've become smitten with Rogue in the meantime so I might do it first...

5/11/2006 5:15 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

That's totaly cute! One day I hope I can do work like that. But for now, it's one thing at a time ;)

5/11/2006 5:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I feel like applauding! Your Ingeborg is stunning.

Thank you for posting about the process as you went along. This project really is one I'd like to start someday, and seeing yours grow is very, very inspiring.

5/11/2006 6:15 PM  
Blogger Theresa said...

That is phenomenally gorgeous. I admired it in the book, but now I really need to make one. I'll save it for next winter, though.

It's the perfect size, too.

5/11/2006 6:15 PM  
Blogger spajonas said...

wow! that is an AMAZING knit! it looks so complex you would never believe it was handmade.

beautiful FO!

5/11/2006 6:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's beautiful and a perfect fit!

5/11/2006 8:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Absolutely gorgeous! And it fits you so well. I've really enjoyed watching it come to life here on your blog. I'll definitely be revisiting these posts if I ever get around to knitting Ingeborg someday.

5/11/2006 9:06 PM  
Blogger scarlet said...

Incredible! I am SO impressed.

5/11/2006 9:41 PM  
Blogger Sonya said...

Ok, I can't think of an appropriate adjective. Gorgeous and stunning come to mind. And it fits you beautifully. You've inspired me; I just ordered 3 Dale books including the one with Ingeborg. I'm not there yet skill-wise, but someday soon. You should be very proud.

5/11/2006 9:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lovely. I'm glad you have gotten it finished!

5/11/2006 10:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks beautiful. You did a great job.

5/11/2006 10:37 PM  
Blogger Carrie K said...

That is just fabulous. Gorgeous. Wow. I can't believe how beautiful it is! And the model, of course.

5/12/2006 12:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's the best-looking Dale sweater I've ever seen - they are usually just too big and shapeless. This is gorgeous! How much ease do you have in it? Does it feel like the right amount?
/Monika

5/12/2006 2:53 AM  
Blogger Lara 900 said...

very good work, congratulations on a fabulous finishe!

5/12/2006 4:03 AM  
Blogger CrazyFiberLady said...

Absolutely gorgeous! Beautiful work. Now I'm really itching to start mine.

5/12/2006 2:03 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

It's really gorgeous. Wonderful work. It's a joy to look at your projects.

5/12/2006 11:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi from Austria! I can't believe how beautiful Ingeborg turned out, it's a true piece of art and you did such an amazing job with it! And it suits you perfectly! Great, great work!

5/13/2006 3:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Stunning. An absolute victory.

5/13/2006 3:54 PM  
Blogger Laughingrat said...

Very, very cool.

What's the Brown Sheep like? We only get the Lamb's Pride here, so I'm curious if their non-mohair yarns are nicer.

5/13/2006 11:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very beautiful indeed!!

5/14/2006 2:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, Ingeborg is beautiful. And it looks great on you. What an accomplishment. Congratulations.

5/15/2006 4:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, congratulations on Ingeborg! I can't believe I missed it on my Bloglines. It looks fabulous!

- MJ

5/15/2006 8:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is stunning! I am so inspired by your skill. Reading your blog has prompted me to try more two-color knitting. I am working on the Nordic Mittens you did right now. Some day I hope to make some of the gorgeous sweaters you have made or ones like them.

5/16/2006 7:51 AM  
Blogger Hege said...

Your Ingeborg is beautiful!

5/16/2006 1:36 PM  
Blogger j a r e d said...

its masterful.
worth ever stitch. and more.

5/18/2006 2:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your sweater is spectacular-a true masterpiece. I am totally in awe of the talent and determination it must have taken to create.
Congratulations!
m

5/24/2006 8:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home