Sunday, April 29, 2007

delayed gratification

Scottische Kilt Hose #1


That's a lot of sock. It's knit in Brown Sheep Naturespun sport on 2.25 mm. needles. The shaping is altered to fit my leg. I'll go into more detail when the pair is done, but a word of advice to anyone knitting these, or other knee socks: Determine your decrease (or increase) rate by measuring the sock when it is on your leg. My sock is significantly shorter when on my leg than when not, because of the horizontal stretch. If I'd gone by the flat measurements, there's no way this sock would fit me.




a tale of two cuffs


I had every intention of getting a lot of sleeve knitting done this weekend. I knit the hem on my smaller needles, wrote out my increases cheat sheet, dug out my 3.25 mm. DPNs, and saw this:


different points
(My needles aren't really this pretty. I was just playing with my photo editing software.)


That's a Clover DPN on the left, and the SRK The Collection circ I used for the sweater body on the right. I don't want to knit with those Clover needles. Not only will it be annoying, but there's a chance it will be bad for my gauge. I think the grey Inox needles might be closer to the SRK needles in terms of pointiness and taper. Maybe I'll run to the fabric store during lunch tomorrow to see if those will do. I think they carry Inox DPNs.

It might be a low-volume knitting week for me. I'm going away Thursday and Friday (and maybe Saturday), and want to spend more of my free time this week on the writing I've been neglecting. I was in a generally crabby mood last week, for no apparent reason, and need to figure out a good way to snap out of it. I thought that way would be to knit 6 beautiful inches of sleeve this weekend, but as even my knitting needles are conspiring against my pursuit of happiness, I'll take the hint from the universe and try to be a more well rounded person. (Sage, if you have my muse, send her home!)

Labels: ,

18 Comments:

Blogger Sophia said...

Can you not just magic-loop the sleeves and use the same SRK needles? I say this as someone who's still scared of DPNs. *g*

4/29/2007 3:01 PM  
Blogger Becki said...

Nice sock! I hope you have a good trip!

4/29/2007 3:55 PM  
Blogger Theresa said...

Knitting is well-rounded, isn't it?

4/29/2007 4:59 PM  
Blogger Dame Wendy said...

The sock is gorgeous!!

4/29/2007 5:36 PM  
Blogger Kit said...

That is really a nice sock. Best get started on the second quickly! :)

4/29/2007 6:01 PM  
Blogger Moiface said...

The sock looks fantastic! Bravo!

4/29/2007 10:05 PM  
Blogger knittingphilistine said...

The knee high is spectacular!

4/29/2007 10:54 PM  
Blogger pamela wynne said...

beautiful!!

4/30/2007 1:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, that sock, that sock!...

*swoon*

5/01/2007 1:27 PM  
Blogger AnneB said...

You are inspiring. My uncle has learned to play the bagpipes and is now in a marching band in Charleston, SC. He keeps hinting about socks. Groan!

5/01/2007 3:54 PM  
Blogger Angelika said...

So I see you are on one of those low points too. I just recovered from one of them. I hate that. Just keep knitting and it will get better. I want to see more colors:)

5/01/2007 10:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello,

I have just found your blog and I want to get back into knitting after 4 year hiatus. I have a question abour your Ingeborg. When you sewed the sleeve to the body of the sweater what method did you use. You did not take any pictures of this and it would really help me to see how you did it. Thank Ana in NYC

5/02/2007 1:30 PM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

If I could only talk myself in to knitting knee highs! They are so in right now and I love them...YOURS are not exception!

5/03/2007 2:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the knee-high! You make an excellent point about calculating the decrease rate when the sock is on your leg. That explains my difficulties with a pair I'm trying to knit -- Thanks!

5/08/2007 11:40 AM  
Blogger Margaret said...

Ooo Laa Laa! What a lovely sock!
Have a wonderful trip! And hey, "snap out of it already, will ya!" ;)

5/11/2007 5:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's a beautiful sock. I can't wait to see the pair finished. :)

5/14/2007 7:58 PM  
Blogger Zabet said...

I'm way behind as usual, but FUCKING AWESOME KILT HOSE!

5/18/2007 9:54 AM  
Blogger Klozter said...

Well hey! I recognised those knee highs right away!
http://klozknitz.blogspot.com/2007/02/highland-schottische-kilt-hose.html

Glad to see someone else went through the love/pain/torment that were these socks. I was so very happy with the end result but boy, they sucked up a lot of my life! I found you from your gentle mooing, any more quizzes coming up?

5/24/2007 1:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home