Sunday, March 18, 2007

what I wear under my kilt

Schottishe Kilt Hose picot edge


Picot!

I'm just a bit overly excited about my first picot hem. It's attached to a fledgling Schottishe Kilt Hose, from Nancy Bush's Folk Socks. The hem was a lot easier to tack down than I anticipated. I loosely cast on using a German Twisted cast-on, and found it very easy to pick up loops from that to knit together with hem stitches. I always thought that it would be a very fiddly and frustrating process, and while it definitely took some time, it was easy and straightforward. What a pleasant surprise. I see more picot in my future.

Those of you who have been reading this blog for a while (or who have read the archives) might have a good guess as to what the yarn is. Yup, it's my old standby Brown Sheep Naturespun sportweight, in a natural cream color. The same yarn I used in Ingeborg and the Komi hat and mittens. These socks, which are knee socks (my first!), should use up the majority of my Naturespun in this color. Of course, my Naturespun stash has so far tried to impersonate a bottomless pit. For all I know, I'll finish the kilt hose and find that I've actually gained a few yards of yarn. I don't know what they put in the water in Nebraska, but a small part of me fears that if I don't always have a project going in Naturespun, my house will soon turn into the set of Little Shop of Horrors. (<--- Rachel will agree that talking about musicals is all the rage in blogland as of late. I will follow her lead, call us trendsetters, and offer a meat pie of dubious origin to anyone who disagrees. Show tunes are the new Clapotis. please?)

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Heather said...

ah! such pretty picot sts!
i like the show tunes :-)

3/18/2007 2:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmm. You managed to pick the only two musicals I can think of off the top of my head in which humans getting eaten is a key plot element. Shall I be nervous about what this says about you?

Nah, how bad could someone with such a wee cute picot hem be?

3/18/2007 4:46 PM  
Blogger Elinor said...

The picot is so cute! I can't believe you're tackling such big socks! I can't even contemplate kilt socks. I would turn the heel early out of sheer impatience!

3/18/2007 6:08 PM  
Blogger Theresa said...

I spent part of my day off picking up picot hems, and it's really not hard. Just time consuming. Of course, now I want to make those kilt hose. But I wear no kilts, and really can't see how I could wear knee socks in San Diego. So yet again I'll live vicariously through you.

3/19/2007 9:51 AM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

I look forward to seeing these socks finished by you since they are some that are on my list. I even have the very color Naturespun the pattern calls for. Keep posting progress pics!

3/19/2007 4:53 PM  
Blogger Moiface said...

I love the picot in white! These will be especially fabulous while doing Gaelic dances to Show Tunes and Musicals! *haha*

3/19/2007 7:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home