Saturday, April 14, 2007

eighteen

Autumn Color Cardigan - April 14, 2007


This photo was taken a row or two after I finally incorporated the eighteenth (of eighteen) colors into the sweater. I guess this counts as a milestone.

I've had some questions related to using so many colors in one sweater. For those of you who are wondering, I'm spit splicing (so there aren't a kajillion ends to weave in), and there are only two colors used per row. Furthermore, no more than one color ever changes from one row to the next.


I was just talking to a friend about my knitting, and mentioned my knee-socks in progress. She had no idea what I was talking about at first, and I realized that I only blogged about them once, and very briefly. Here's an updated photo of my Schottische Kilt Hose:

Schottische Kilt Hose -- April 14, 2007


That's still the first one. I'm mostly working on it at knitting group once a week, so the progress is slow. Because the sweater is going more slowly than I anticipated, and since I want it to be completed by the end of July (in time for the county fair), I'm avoiding the temptation to knit the socks more than once a week. Perhaps I'll pick up the pace again once I'm more secure in the progress of the sweater. I'll be out of town (and not knitting) for a couple of weeks in July, and I don't want to have to do silly things like pull all-nighters just to get the sweater done in time for the fair. It should ideally be a leisurely, non-stressful process.

Kilt Hose closeup




While I have your attention, I have a third topic to discuss. (I promise that "eighteen" does not refer to the number of topics in this post. This is the last one, I swear.) Becki recently sent me a beautiful skein of sportweight Morehouse Merino yarn. It's a soft single ply, and I have 220 yards of it. I think that it would make a great scarf, and I've been contemplating making a mini-Cozy. The problem is that I have no sense of whether I could get a decent length scarf with the amount of yarn I have. For those of you with more experience knitting lace scarves with sportweight yarn, what do you think? Could I get a respectable length (say, 48" or longer) 6" or 7" wide Cozy out of 220 yards of sportweight? Or should I give up hope and think of another use for the yarn?

Labels: , ,

18 Comments:

Blogger Dame Wendy said...

The sweater is coming along beautifully. :)

4/14/2007 4:55 PM  
Blogger Jillian said...

Beautiful sweater and socks. I love all of the 18 colours together.

4/14/2007 6:00 PM  
Blogger gray la gran said...

hmmm ... i would think you could get a decent scarf from that ... surely the length, but i'm not so sure about the width over 6". i'm thinking that because there's a primarily stockinette (with eyelets) scarf at my LYS knitted with one hank of lorna's laces shepherd sport (200yds). i think it's respectable, though not grand. i say give it a go. the worst you'd have to do is rip it out. right? maybe use a scale to gauge how much you're getting out of it ... then you might only knit about 1/4th of it to determine if it's going to work out?
by the way ... WOW! with all those colors :)
oh, and here's my *stupid* moment of the day. i was thinking you wanted to have it finished in july to wear ! ... vs. possibly entering into the fair.

4/14/2007 6:05 PM  
Blogger LaurieM said...

Good grief, your knitting is so even in that sweater. My fair isle work blocks out great, but on the needles it's an unholy mess. Puckers everywhere.

How do you do it?

4/14/2007 6:44 PM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

I have that sweater on my to-knit-list and now your lovely photos make me want to knit it all the more! Gotta love spit-splicing! Your photos are so clear. What kind of camera do you have? Mine is about to konk out and I'm taking note of blogs with beautiful photography.

4/14/2007 6:52 PM  
Blogger DonnaC said...

Your sweater is coming along so well. The colors are coordinating wonderfully. If you want to knit with the yarn, what size needles were you thinking of using? If you go up from the recommended gauge, you can extend your yardage. Also, if you knit a rectangle shawl rather than a triangle, you could stop when you run out of yarn, and it just wouldn't be as wrap-able. Just my .02.

4/14/2007 8:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ooooooh.... First time I've been here, I'm bookmarking so I can watch that BEAUTIFUL sweater grow.

4/14/2007 9:10 PM  
Blogger AnneB said...

Wonderful coloration in the Autumn sweater. You are going to get more than 18 compliments when wearing that one!

4/14/2007 9:16 PM  
Blogger Romi said...

Wow, that is great. I love the colors!

4/14/2007 10:56 PM  
Blogger Marina said...

Very impressive! Love how it all just comes together. I think I need to get some of the #38 before everyone runs out of it!

4/15/2007 7:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I made this Morehouse scarf:

www.morehousefarm.com/KnittingKits/SmallProjects/KnitPurlScarf/

I bought it as a kit at the same time as I got yarn for a baby sweater (I love their patterns for children). I used two skeins of the 2-ply, and my scarf was about 8 inches wide by 60 inches long. Is this the yarn you have? I thought the 2-ply was the only sport weight they offered (and it is 220 yards). If so, you will probably need more than one skein for the scarf you're planning. Dyelots are usually not a big problem with Morehouse's natural colors, so perhaps you could get one more skein.

I have one lone skein of this yarn, and I was planning to knit a watch cap with it.

Your color work is fantastic.

primetimeknitter.typepad.com

4/15/2007 10:23 AM  
Blogger Moiface said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

4/15/2007 12:08 PM  
Blogger Moiface said...

This is looking fabulous!

4/15/2007 12:10 PM  
Blogger Amanda said...

Wow! Your knitting skills amaze me!! I don't know how you do it but I love to admire.

4/16/2007 6:12 PM  
Blogger Sabrina Hirsch said...

Everytime I see a picture of your sweater progress it thrills me that is going to be absolutely amazing. One question...what is split splicing?

4/16/2007 6:28 PM  
Blogger Theresa said...

That sweater is stunning. Absolutely amazing. Congrats on reaching your milestone.

4/18/2007 7:56 PM  
Blogger DeeAnn said...

Ooo the color flows on the autumn sweater are wonderful! A very nice contrast project with the Kilt Hose - but I can see your challenge - they both look so fun to work on!

4/23/2007 1:08 AM  
Blogger Jeri said...

I think you can get 6 or 7" wide and 48" long mini-cozy from 220 yards. Compare the square inches of coverage: you want 336 sq inches vs cozy, as written, 1265 square inches or 26.5%. You have 220 yards, cozy calls for 784 yards or 28%. Now your yarn may be finer than that called for in cozy but if you stay on the same needle size (or no more than one size smaller), your scarf may be just a bit airier but I think that's ok. If you have a scale, measure your yarns weight, then measure what's left after knitting 6 inches of scarf and you can do a very accurate estimate of how much length you'll get. Or go to the post office or grocery store and use their scales. Make sure and use the same one for both measurements. email me these weights if you like and I'll run the calculations. We need weights accurage to 1 gram or preferably to one-tenth of a gram.

Jeri

5/04/2007 9:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home