Wednesday, May 17, 2006

SFCKAL week 14; fibbing and gloating

SFCKAL


Here's a new photo of my Vertical Stripes pullover, with about an inch more than Monday's photo. See the puckering? Told ya I wasn't perfect! (Yes, it will block out.)

Vertical Stripes sweater, May 17, 2006


I did the math again last night, and realized that I did not miscalculate how much yarn I was supposed to need. In fact, according to what's listed in the pattern, I should have plenty of extra yarn. I ordered more than enough yardage according to the pattern, and should actually use a good deal less than that, since I'm using a much tighter gauge to knit a sweater that is smaller in both length and circumference. Yet, I'm still pretty sure I'm running out. I'm very close to halfway through the cream yarn, yet only about 2/3 through the body of the sweater. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that a good heuristic for calculating yarn need for sleeves is that both sleeves together use about as much yarn as the whole body. If that holds true for this sweater, I don't have enough.

Last night, after I redid the calculations, I decided to weigh my yarn. I thought that perhaps the skeins I ordered were short. While I obviously can't weigh the skeins I've already knit into the sweater, the remaining skeins are the correct weight, and thus presumably have the full yardage listed. So I'm either vastly overestimating the amount of yarn I'll need for the sleeves, or the amount of yarn needed is not correctly listed in the pattern. TJ, how are you doing on yardage?


fibbing and gloating
A few weeks ago, the Knitting Curmudgeon held a contest. She challenged us to write "fibs" (poems based on the Fibonacci Sequence, using syllables per line as the unit of measurement). I entered the contest, and while I didn't win, yesterday she posted the folks who made the top 10. I was very pleasantly surprised to see that I made it! I only submitted one, as the contest coincided with when my computer died, and I didn't have the time or patience to write the dozens I envisioned myself cranking out. Probably for the best. Mine is the first one on the PDF in this post. I didn't win anything, but as they say, it's an honor just to be nominated. ;-)

(Fun trivia: Blogger's spell checker knows the word "Fibonacci", but not the word "blogger".)

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Actually, I'm pretty sure that it's sleeves = *half* the body--when I've done sweaters knit flat, it's about 1/3 for the front, 1/3 for the back, 1/3 for both sleeves together. So yours might be close, but not *way* off.

I think I'll be close too. I started with over 1000 yards (I didn't weigh it, but there was a half-ball from another project). I'm about 3 rows from being done with the body, and I've nearly got 450 yards left. Some of the background colors are in the iffy range too, though I really hope they all hold out--my yarn only comes in 450-yard hanks, so there'd be a *lot* of leftovers.

I guess we'll find out when we finish. Eep.

5/17/2006 3:22 PM  
Blogger Becki said...

I am so jealous of your sweater. Mine is peering out at me from the bag I stuffed it in begging for attention, but I have to get over my extreme envy first.

Oh, and awesome poem.

5/17/2006 3:54 PM  
Blogger AnneB said...

Agree with TJ on the proportions for yarn to body and sleeves. Isn't it agonizing when you think you might run out? I always buy extra and have this closet full of unused balls. My Shirt Tail Hemmed FI plods along. I knew it would be a long knit but it will get there.

5/19/2006 12:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think I have heard the one third saying, too. One third for the front, one third for the back, and one third for the sleeves. Good luck to you.

5/22/2006 7:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home