Thursday, January 25, 2007

lay lazy grey

Jules' socks - done


Gems Pearl, size 1 needles, 72 stitches around, 2x2 ribbing (with some fun texture at the cuffs), 10" legs, 11" feet

I'm so happy they're done. A very unexciting project, though a nice and relaxing one when I wasn't tired of working on them. And I think that the recipient will really like them. I think it will be his first pair of hand-knit socks, so it was worth the effort. If anybody is wondering, this huge pair took just over 2 skeins of Gems Pearl. I had to start in on the third skein right before the toe of the second sock. This is good information for me to know, because it means that I can make some interesting socks for myself, with generous leg height, without worrying about running out of yarn.

The photo lies a bit. The socks are still a bit damp, so I don't think they deserve to be languidly lounging across that swift, as they are doing. They're not finished, in my book, until they're dry. But today was when I had time to take photos, so damp socks it is. I should mention that this yarn is very stinky when wet. Most wools have a distinctive wool odor when wet, but some more than others. These had an almost mildewy smell. It was pretty strong and gross, and when I was in the basement fetching things from the machine (soak and spin only, even for my superwash socks), I was worried about what was going on down there, with that smell. But it was only wet sock. I wonder if different breeds of sheep have wool that smells differently when wet, or if the varying scents have more to do with processing or dyes. I have other socks that smell almost pleasant when wet, which is quite the accomplishment for anything made of wool. Or maybe it just means that I like wool a bit too much.


I cast on (three times, actually) for some mittens for Alex. They're in leftover Cascade Eco Wool, and will be quite plain. Ribbed cuff, stockinette elsewhere. But that's what he wants, and as I'm nervous enough about having enough yarn for the pair in such a thrifty stitch, there's no way I'm adding other textures to them. I couldn't find the exact plain mitten pattern I wanted elsewhere, so I used the schematics from the other mittens I've made (from Schurch's book), and did the math to write a pattern for this weight of yarn. Even with three starts (due to cuff size and gauge issues), this will be a very fast project. Hopefully there will be a photo and a pattern within a week. It won't be an exciting, must-knit-it-now pattern, but just a little something for anybody else out there looking for a free, basic, in-the-round mitten pattern.

Labels: ,

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those socks are so beautiful.... sometimes the simple far outweighs the fancy

1/25/2007 11:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

They look done to me, damp or no. I agree with Elka, sometimes simple is best.

1/25/2007 1:35 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

I love the Gems Pearl, it's such a nice yarn, and comes in such a nice range of colors. Funny, I haven't had the problem with it smelling unusually funky...

1/25/2007 2:02 PM  
Blogger Andrea said...

I agree, the socks are beautiful! I wish I had some like that.

1/25/2007 3:28 PM  
Blogger Theresa said...

I love the smell of wet wool, too. Don't know quite what it is . . . Maybe the lavendar soap I use?

1/26/2007 1:01 AM  
Blogger Beth said...

Power to you for sticking with BIG gray socks! I love making socks for myself and I have big women's feet but I've put off making socks for my 12 year old son and husband who have large man feet (size 11 and 12). Dh would only wear very boring socks and just the thought of it is enough to prevent me from casting on.

Nice job.

1/26/2007 11:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a nice looking pair of gray socks, even if they're stinky then wet. The Louet Gems yarn is beautiful and I look forward to trying it myself on a pair of socks.

1/30/2007 4:49 PM  
Blogger knitography said...

I really love the look of those socks! Nice job. I find socks to be the perfect bus project, because they are small and when you get off the bus you definitely see progress. I like the smell of wet wool too, I think it would be hard to be knitter if you didn't!

1/31/2007 5:54 PM  
Blogger gray la gran said...

that gems looks nice and cushy! sometime, i need to knit a plain old sock, and just appreciate the twist of the yarn and it's subtle coloration, and cush !

2/01/2007 3:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home