Friday, November 03, 2006

must breathe

Komi Mitten 1 - thumbless


My thumb will remain naked for a while. I developed some arm pain that I'm pretty sure is related to the tension I held in my right arm and shoulder while knitting the mitten. Probably partially due to the teeny tiny needles (00), and partially due to me just tensing up for no good reason. I also noticed that I have just a smidgen over half a skein left of the red, and thought it would make sense to knit the entirety of the second mitten (minus thumb), before going back and doing thumbs. I have to reattach new yarn for the thumb, anyway, so might as well try to not have to do any joins in the body of the mitten. (I have 2 skeins of each color, and am already brainstorming fun things to do with the massive amounts of leftovers I didn't think I'd have. I might not even have to touch the second skein of cream for the mittens.)

Of course, my scale isn't exactly the most accurate thing. I got it at the grocery store for $6 or $7. For example, according to the scale I should have had just about enough yarn leftover from the first sock to finish the second, or at least get super close. Here is where I ran out:

how far I got with one skein


It's not really a problem, as I have a second skein. (It's Lorna's Laces Shepherd Sock, for the curious). My gauge hasn't changed, but my scale is just too cheap and blunt of an instrument to be accurate to within more than a few grams.

Looking at that sock photo, I've just noticed that the bottom of the heels on both socks match almost perfectly. Believe me, that's a complete coincidence. I can't be bothered to try to match things up perfectly with wildly striping yarn.

Between my arm (which is starting to feel better) and the upcoming move, I may retreat into the land of knitting simplicity for a little while. I want to finish this pair of socks, and might start using up a lot of my sock yarn leftovers to knit baby hats for our local hospital. They need hats, and while I plan to use my leftover solid colored sock yarn for swatching for pattern ideas, the striping and variegated stuff will be perfect for little baby heads.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was having some problems with hand pain with a pair of gloves recently, so I understand what you mean. It was so frustrating because it was due to a combination of an unstretchy yarn, and lots of twisted stitches. Too difficult to do, and was way too painful to continue, despite how pretty it looked.

Beautiful mittens, they seem to be coming along nicely.

By the way, I'm a Keene knitter too :)

11/03/2006 1:23 PM  
Blogger LaurieM said...

That's a great idea for using up leftover sock yarn.

When I get arm pain, but still want to knit, I switch up my gauge. Going from smaller needles to larger seems to help.

11/03/2006 4:39 PM  
Blogger gray la gran said...

which wt. yarn are you using for your lorna socks? how many skeins total?
i'm asking because i have two hanks of the sport wt. but have no idea how far they will take me .
thanks :)

11/03/2006 8:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful mittens. I like them.

11/04/2006 5:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aw, that's a great use of leftover yarn. Knitting simplicity sounds like a good idea! Permanent injury best to be avoided.

Those mittens are gorgeous and wow, serendipity on the sock stripes.

11/04/2006 3:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home