Friday, October 07, 2005

oh the pain; weaving in info

I was going to knit a couple of rounds on the sock before lunch. Then it happened.





*sob*

Those used to be my favorite DPNs. I have more size 1 DPNs, but I think they're slightly thicker. I guess they'll do.

Thanks so much for the comments about weaving in ends as I go. It's not something I've done before, and before I did some searching, not something I'd seen instructions or pictures of before. I found a couple of sites with instructions or tips:
It seems like a great idea, but I do worry a bit about weaving them in tightly enough using that method. Do any of you know of sites that have more detailed pictures or instructions? I should be more than fine with what I have, but more information is always better. I'm not 100% sure I'll use the method for the second mitten, but it's definitely something I'll think about, and will definitely try in the future.

2 Comments:

Blogger Delana said...

Here's the best video I've seen on how to do the 4 different stitches for two handed fair isle knitting (and what I do to weave in ends).

http://www.philosopherswool.com/Pages/Streamingvideo.htm

I feel your pain on the broken dpn too! I bought a set of rosewood size 1's and the second time I knit with them the tip broke off one. Luckily I could still knit my socks using only 4. But, then another one broke on me :-( The wonderful ladies at my LYS are ordering another set for me and will replace them!

10/07/2005 3:38 PM  
Blogger wittyknits said...

My experience is that the smaller the yarn, the easier it is to get the ends to "stick" well enough as you go. Another thing I've done is weaving in just a few stitches on the first row right after the join, then weaving in the other direction if I'm purling back (or the same direction one more row up for knitting in the round). That way I feel like I get more of the idea of the direction change as in traditional weaving in.

Also, leaving only a short tail (an inch or so) and tying a knot between the two colors helps with keeping them secure.

My other top secret hint? Break the yarn by tearing it with your hands rather than cutting it with scissors. That helps make it "stickier" too.

One final thing. I did a scarf recently in garter stitch with tons of color changes and used this method, but intentionally didn't weave some of the ends all the way in to give it a more deconstructed look. You can kind of see that in the bottom photo here. Right below the patchwork piece on the left is a fairly obvious one.

10/07/2005 4:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home