Monday, October 03, 2005

My head weighs 75 grams

But before I talk about lightheadedness, I have a finished project to announce. Yesterday I finished the second sock for the LiveJournal advanced_knit sock exchange. I'm not going to give a lot of details here, as the recipient wants to be surprised. However, you can click here to see a picture and specs.

In addition to finishing the socks, I finished Rogue! Yes, it was definitely a banner day. I don't have completed Rogue pictures, yet, as I'm in the process of re-blocking the hood. I was going to try pinning it into shape on a flat surface, but that was before I encountered a wonderful yard sale. On the way back from the library on Saturday (where I picked up Folk Socks, which is already covered in a thick layer of drool) I spied a yard sale. There was lots of super cool stuff, including an old ringer washer. Another interesting find was a plastic garbage bag full of heads. Don't worry - they were all styrofoam. I found the least dirty and banged up head, and brought it home for all of 50 cents. In retrospect, I should have just bought the whole bag.

The head was an even luckier find because it turned about to be almost exactly the same circumference as my own head. I don't have a very big head, so I consider this fairly lucky. Last night, after I was done with the socks and with all of the Rogue seaming and hemming, I pinned the hood to my new head. I think this form of blocking will work beautifully. It necessitated many, many pins, and a lot of tugging, but I think it will be great when it's done. I spritzed it with a bunch of water, and will leave it until at least tonight before I unpin. Here are some photos. (Doesn't the first one look eerily like the scene at the end of the first Harry Potter movie, where the Voldemort ghosty thingy flies away in a cloak? That's certainly what it reminds me of.)





I'll post more images of Rogue, as well as notes on finishing and the yarn, tomorrow.

I do have one more picture, today. My friend R. came to visit this weekend, and she brought me a gift! I now possess a skein of Blackberry Ridge lace weight wool/silk yarn, in a gorgeous blueish-purplish color. The skein is 2.3 oz., and more than 350 yards. (It would be 350 yards if it were 2 oz, I think.) I'm not sure what I'm going to do with it, yet, but I can't wait to knit with it. I've been wanting to try their yarn, and R. picked the absolutely perfect yarn for me. (She was right in guessing that I'd prefer the silk blend over the mohair blend.) I'd heard that their lace weight was thick for a lace weight, and that's certainly true. I'd be tempted to call it a light fingering weight yarn. It would be perfect, I think, for the Flower Basket Shawl. However, I'm not sure that I want to knit the Flower Basket Shawl. I think I'm going to look for a different small shawl pattern, or maybe a lace scarf pattern. I want something relatively advanced. Do any of you have suggestions for patterns? (No, I don't want to knit Branching Out.)


As you can see, R. also gave me chicken buttons. bwok! I have no idea what I'll use them on, but I'm sure that I'll knit something good enough for chicken buttons one day.

I think that's it for today. I'm so happy to have a post with interesting updates, as I feel this blog has been rather blah for the past couple of weeks. Tomorrow should be fun, too, as there will be more Rogue pictures. There will also be new fair isle pictures. Yup, I picked up one of the two fair isle projects again last night. I'll let you wonder about which one until tomorrow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home