Wednesday, September 13, 2006

only 162 rows to go

Minor progress:

Vertical Stripes sleeve 2


190 stitches, all ready to become a sleeve.


Last weekend I went to a local estate sale, with dreams of out-of-print Starmores and bags of beautiful yarn (all with 50c stickers) dancing in my head. It did say "crafts" in the newspaper ad. Well, there were a few crocheted and knitted afghans, but no actual crafting supplies. But I did drop a whole dollar on a small pile of "The Workshop: Home and Needlecraft for Pleasure and Profit" magazines, dating from the late-50's to mid-60's. The actual crafty articles and patterns aren't all that exciting (maybe if I were into crocheting endless doilies), but the ads are wonderful. Well, some are terrible, but that's part of what makes them wonderful. Most of the great ads aren't at all crafting related, but I thought I'd share this one, in the spirit of recent sock monkey dress sightings at the Minnesota State Fair:

sock elephant


sockephant! whee!

5 Comments:

Blogger LaurieM said...

I wonder if their were plans for a whole circus? Can you imagine the sock lion?

9/13/2006 3:07 PM  
Blogger Alice said...

sockephant! most definately "whee"!!

9/13/2006 3:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my! That is absolutly gorgeous. I have started to experiment with fair-isle, havent dont sweaters yet, but this one is such an inspiration! I can't wait to see how it comes out!

9/14/2006 2:11 PM  
Blogger Arteeni said...

You have knitted so gorgeous lace and intarsia patterns that I'm wordless!! Very nice!!

9/18/2006 5:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would PAY to see the sock elephant "get into the act" with the sock monkey.

9/18/2006 3:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home