Tuesday, September 12, 2006

kinda-sorta milestone

Vertical Stripes sleeve 1


The first Vertical Stripes sleeve is done. Except for blocking. And the cuff. But it's as done as it's going to get for now, so I guess that counts for something.

I ended up doing half a repeat (12 rows) more than I thought I would. It's really hard to judge length right now, because I know that the sleeve will block out a bit longer than it is at the moment. So trying it on isn't as informative as I'd like. I think I'll block both sleeves before I knit the cuffs, so I can use the cuffs to make the sleeves the perfect length.

I put in an order for another skein of Palette. But I won't need it for a while. I'd be surprised if I finished the second sleeve by the end of the month. Flabbergasted, in fact.

I don't anticipate getting much knitting done in the next week or so. First, we need to turn this:

wood to stack


into something that looks like this:

old, re-stacked wood


Wood stacking party, anybody? I'd offer to bribe you with Naturespun Sport, but maybe it would work better if I had some spare Koigu.

I'm exhausted just thinking about it.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeesh. You have once again affirmed my desire to never live anywhere cold. I'll take my sunny 75 degree summers, thank you very much. I'm cold just thinking about needing all that firewood.

9/12/2006 1:41 PM  
Blogger spajonas said...

ooooh, someone has a fireplace!! or wood burning stove! how nice! we have a fireplace in our apartment in brooklyn but we have to buy wood at the corner deli :) so new york.

9/12/2006 1:42 PM  
Blogger LaurieM said...

One suggestion is to tackle it a bit at a time. Say 15 minutes in the morning and 15 in the evening. That way, you can tell yourself it's just some fun excercise instead of a huge chore.

9/12/2006 3:11 PM  
Blogger Kit said...

It only looks big. As lauriem says, a little at a time and you can do it. :)

9/12/2006 5:13 PM  
Blogger Hege said...

Your sweater looks so beautiful!
Good luck with the wood. See, it will be keeping you warm even before you burn it ;)

9/13/2006 12:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The sweater looks great!

9/13/2006 6:56 AM  
Blogger trainlady said...

Wood warms you twice :-) We need to have a splitting party.

9/13/2006 7:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I was a kid we heated our house entirely by woodstove, so my sister and I would have to stack wood all summer and bring it into the house to fill the wood ring all winter. I never realized that this is not how most families heat their homes until I got to college and realized that I was a minor novelty because I apparently grew up in the 1800s.

That aside, though, there's nothing like a crackling fire in the winter. Your work will be more than worth it, as I'm sure you know.

9/15/2006 9:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home