Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Is my head really this big?

Braid and Bobble hat band


It's not a scarf. It's a hat. And even though I have a small head, and this hat will have negative ease, I'm amazed at how much fabric it takes to cover my head. This happens every time I knit a hat. I think it will take maybe an hour, 'cause heads are so much smaller than torsos. I must think that my head is the size of an infant's. I once heard that if you spread out adult human lungs, they would cover a tennis court. I kind of feel the same way about hats. They're irrationally large. Or maybe I'm just irrational.

But I'm done with all of my cables and bobbles, and "just" need to seam up the thing and then pick up and knit the top. I'm sure that will take all of 20 minutes!

This pattern has inspired me to knit a cabled baby sweater with some of the leftover yarn I want to use up this year. I think this pattern would look really cute as a baby sweater, mirrored around the center, with mirrored cable crossings. And maybe I'd take out the bobbles. Symmetrical bobbles may just be too much bobble, even for a baby. I don't actually have a baby to give a sweater to, but I'm sure some charity would find a good use for it.

Oh, and I also started a sock. It's really simple and plain, but it feels wonderful to have something truly boring to work on.

wee socklet


Lorna's Laces Shepherd Sock, 3x1 ribbing, size 0 needles, 64 stitches. Around and around and around. I'm still trying to decide what to do about the heel. I might try an afterthought heel, as I've never done one before, and this seems like a good opportunity. On the other hand, I'm really curious about what this yarn would look like when it pools instead of stripes, which is bound to happen if I do my usual heel flap and gusset heel. I'm really enjoying this sock because it's so much nicer than I imagined, given the super stripey nature of the yarn. I've never worked with this bi-color LL colorway before, and it's prettier in person than in photos I've seen online. Each of the 2 colors is more of an "almost-solid" than a plain solid, which gives the sock a lot more depth and interest than I'd anticipated. I think the pooling would look really awesome. Have I convinced myself, yet?

4 Comments:

Blogger Tipper said...

I look forward to seeing your completed head cozy!

8/22/2006 3:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Both the hat and the sock look great. That Lorna's colorway is really pretty.
Looking forward to seeing the finished hat.

8/22/2006 10:46 PM  
Blogger Irie said...

I have dreadlocks AND a fairly large head, so if I knit a hat for myself, it seems MONSTROUS. Really, my hats would have fit Andre the Giant.

Love your "boring" socks. self-striping yarns are so fun, especially when they are in high school colors (go Bulldogs)

if this comment is weird, I blame it on the beer.

8/23/2006 2:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmm. There goes my plan to knit a lung cozy.

8/23/2006 10:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home