Thursday, August 10, 2006

orange you glad

Hedera mosaic
(Click here and here to see less abstract photos of the finished socks.)


pattern: Hedera
yarn: Patons Kroy
stuff I did differently: I made the leg a few repeats longer, and didn't really refer to the pattern for the toes. I like my own formulaic way of doing toes.


I had all but kitchenered the second sock last night (couldn't find my Chibi), and cast on for some socks with my Schaeffer Anne. I'm very sad to say that I don't think the yarn is going to work for socks. It's absolutely gorgeous yarn, but it's also the thinnest fingering weight I've ever encountered. The fabric I got with my size 0 needles was way too loose for socks, and my only needles smaller than that are the flimsy cheap-0 aluminum ones that I used for the Komi sock. I'm not using those again. So, I don't think the Schaeffer Anne is destined to be socks. I did a wpi check this morning, and I got 20. That's really, really thin for sock yarn. I'm disappointed, because I was really excited about having deep red socks. I guess I'll be keeping my eyes out for a nice lace scarf or shawl pattern that will work with 560 yards of what I'm content calling laceweight yarn.

This means I have no socks on the needles. To me, that's the knitting equivalent of being in a car without a seatbelt on. It just feels wrong, and a bit too daring for my tastes. Time to come up with a new sock project, aka knitting safety net.

7 Comments:

Blogger Dave said...

Those Hedera are gorgeous ... totally awesome colour.

You're scaring me about the Anne. I've got some in stash just waiting patiently. Yikes.

8/10/2006 1:34 PM  
Blogger LaurieM said...

Hedra looks very similar to the lacy sock in Paton's "Pull up your Socks". Ironic that you used Paton's Kroy (http://carodanfarm.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/product375.html) to knit them.

8/10/2006 1:51 PM  
Blogger Carrie K said...

Hedra looks great and not just the color (which I love.)

Nice analogy about socks & seatbelts. It's perfect.

8/10/2006 2:46 PM  
Blogger aija said...

Lovely! I love the color, and the cherries :)

I love Anne, the one pair of socks I made were on US 0's-- different strokes :) It will make a striking shawl I'm sure.

8/10/2006 4:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm currently working on some socks in Schaefer Anne, and I agree that it seems much, much thinner than other sockweight yarns. I'm using size 0 needles, and my elbows start to ache after only a few rows. These socks better be gorgeous.

8/11/2006 10:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lovely socks, color and pattern. The Anne yardage would make a Flower Basket or similar shawl I think.

8/13/2006 6:28 PM  
Blogger gray la gran said...

i really like these socks, especially because they're solid vs. handpaint. i have not knitted this pattern (yet), nor have i read through it ... the only thing i am hesitant of is the strong vertical lines that looks like a twisted knit stitch. the line is so prominent, that it reminds me of stockings with the seam down the back of the leg ... and how the seam looks when it jogs just a little bit ..... i had started knitting jaywalkers, and have not finished, just because of the "seam" issue. also, i may not be knitting at the proper gauge/fit!
... wonderful photography and technical knitting! always a pleasure to see what's new here :)

8/14/2006 10:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home