Friday, August 04, 2006

The Amazing Lace Challenge #5 - Where's Waldo?

otherwise titled: Walk Tall and Carry a Big Ball of Yarn and a Cello
or perhaps it should be: Look at My Vibrating G-String! (On the cello! Get your minds out of the gutter. ;-)

the challenge: Post a photo in which your lace is in a hidden or unexpected part of the picture.



This might be a bit tricky if you haven't been paying attention to my recent knitting. There are some distractions in this shot. Scroll down the page for a hint in mosaic form

.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

.
.

Amazing Lace Where's Waldo Challenge mosaic
Best viewed in the larger size if you really want to see details. Also, check out my Amazing Lace photoset if you want to see the explanations of the photos.


Still don't see the Amazing Lace project in the original photo? I'll give you another hint: I don't own a petticoat.

And if you're still stumped (yes, I know I'm gravely insulting your intelligence by this point), click on the first photo in this post (or just click here), and you'll be able to see where I point out the Amazing Lace project in the photo.

This challenge was quite the, um, challenge. I originally got the idea of knitting little Waldo hats to create a Where's Where's Waldo - meets - E.T. shot, inspired by the shot in the movie where E.T. is hidden in the toy closet amongst the stuffed animals, wearing really silly clothing. I knit one hat, and realized that I had better ways to use my time and my leftover Naturespun Sport. I came up with this idea, and took a test photo earlier this week, to see if I'd be able to pull it off. Then I spent the week knitting my hands off, so that Hiawatha would be long enough to pin inside about half a skirt. I went through try after try after try to get the angle and camera placement correct. Sometimes the camera didn't behave. But eventually the forces of nature and technology came together, and I got my shot. And isn't it appropriate that I felt the need to narrate my process, since Hiawatha is a story narrative in lace form.

The most fun part of the challenge? Walking around the house without with a cello in hand and no bottom on. The least fun part of the challenge? Walking around the house with a cello in hand, a camera in hand, a laced-up skirt (with tons of t-pins) on, and a big ball of yarn balanced wherever I could put it. Or maybe that was fun, too.

For those of you actually following along on the project, here's a teaser photo of where I am:

Hiawatha
Click to biggify.

5 Comments:

Blogger Becki said...

Very creative!

Random question - what's going on with the SFC knitalong? Are we on break for summer? I know I am - I can't bring myself to even look at my cardigan right now, much less model it.

8/04/2006 8:49 PM  
Blogger Robyn - Red Bird Knits said...

Nice looking cello there - oh yes and nice lace too!

8/05/2006 2:10 AM  
Blogger Tipper said...

You're so clever!

Speaking of the knit-along, I hope to get some knitting in on my cardigan while on vacation. If I don't, I will be sorely disappointed in myself.

Your posts about this stole make me want to knit lace NOW. Must.Knit.Stole!

8/06/2006 11:47 AM  
Blogger scarlet said...

Very sly! I didn't see where you had hidden your lace until I saw the mosaic. Your work is coming along nicely and looking GREAT!

8/07/2006 8:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

superbe vos réalisations !!je suis heureuse de voir a quelle point le tricot a évolué , un grand merci que du plaisir pour les yeux.

Toinette

11/15/2006 8:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home