Thursday, September 15, 2005

Samus swatch

I couldn't help myself. After reminding myself of how pretty a purple the wool was, and after receiving the needles in the mail, I just had to do it.

I just traded (or am in the middle of a trading process) needles with someone from KBTH. She's getting 2 pairs of nylon circs, and sent me some bamboo circs in return. The nylon circs were discussed a few weeks ago on the list, and although I don't really like them, a lot of list memebers seem to long for the day when you could easily find them in the store. I picked mine up at a yard sale in Northfield. I think it was actually the same place where I picked up my copy of The Celtic Collection.

So I had these size 8 29" Bernat bamboo circs sitting around, waiting to be broken in. I swatched for Samus with them. I love working with them. They've got a more polished finish and sharper points, like Crystal Palace needles, but with a more secure and less buggy join, like Clovers. The cord is still annoyingly curly, but that won't be difficult to remedy. I think they'll be just right for Samus. My swatch hasn't dried yet, but unless it puffs out drastically from its half dried to fully dried state, it will work out fine. It can puff out a tiny bit, as my row and stitch gauge was just the tiniest bit tight - as in less than a stitch or half a stitch over 4", which is something that can be fixed by blocking, with both hands tied behind my back.

I don't plan on knitting Samus until I'm done with Rogue. The cabled hems and cuffs will be nice and interesting, but the stockinette body will be less than exciting. So maybe that will be something to work on in conjunction with projects that will take more concentration, like finishing the vest and the mittens.

Or, I could just forget about it all and knit everything on this page instead. That's incredibly tempting...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home