Sunday, September 04, 2005

I need a hug. Please?

I just wanted to let you know that I've spent the last 10 minutes carefully ripping back from hood row 37 to hood row 14. I think I was past row 14 of the hood on Thursday, when I last worked on the hood. The rest of the progress represents work I've done today.

Unfortunately, I confused the last cable on page 18 with the first cable on page 19. They're very similar - they just cross in different directions. The thing is, this style of cable notation looks like gibberish to me. I can follow the key, but I find it far from iconic and easy to follow, like the beautiful and unbeatable IK cable charts.

I should have paid more attention. Too late. I briefly considered trying to rip down only those 5 stitches, and re-doing 20 + rows of cables on each side of the hood. Then I realized that with all of the intervening cables, it would be incredibly difficult, and probably take as much time as just re-knitting those rows from scratch. Plus, re-knitting, I know I won't screw up, as I'd likely do if I tried to just drop those 5 stitches and figure out how to re-create all of the stuff that happens in that group of stitches. And I'd have to do it twice. And it would take so much concentration that I wouldn't be able to do other enjoyable things, like watch TV, or listen to the radio. So I ripped.

I'm calm. I'm trying not to dwell on the fact that a whole day's work is down the drain. A. was away today, and aside from a little bit of reading and housekeeping, my plan for my day alone was the lounge in front of my knitting. He climbed 7 mountains. When he comes home in a few hours, I'll have, essentially, made it just a few rows past where I was 3 days ago. All okay. Part of the process. Part of the process. Part of the process. (right?)

1 Comments:

Blogger Jessimuhka said...

Aww, that sucks! I also find her cable charts difficult to follow. They work just fine with the key, but I can't -see- what I'm supposed to be doing just by looking at it.

You'll be back to where you were in no time, and you get more of the fun cabling process (is this helping?)

9/04/2005 8:47 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home