Sunday, September 04, 2005

I need a hug. Please?

I just wanted to let you know that I've spent the last 10 minutes carefully ripping back from hood row 37 to hood row 14. I think I was past row 14 of the hood on Thursday, when I last worked on the hood. The rest of the progress represents work I've done today.

Unfortunately, I confused the last cable on page 18 with the first cable on page 19. They're very similar - they just cross in different directions. The thing is, this style of cable notation looks like gibberish to me. I can follow the key, but I find it far from iconic and easy to follow, like the beautiful and unbeatable IK cable charts.

I should have paid more attention. Too late. I briefly considered trying to rip down only those 5 stitches, and re-doing 20 + rows of cables on each side of the hood. Then I realized that with all of the intervening cables, it would be incredibly difficult, and probably take as much time as just re-knitting those rows from scratch. Plus, re-knitting, I know I won't screw up, as I'd likely do if I tried to just drop those 5 stitches and figure out how to re-create all of the stuff that happens in that group of stitches. And I'd have to do it twice. And it would take so much concentration that I wouldn't be able to do other enjoyable things, like watch TV, or listen to the radio. So I ripped.

I'm calm. I'm trying not to dwell on the fact that a whole day's work is down the drain. A. was away today, and aside from a little bit of reading and housekeeping, my plan for my day alone was the lounge in front of my knitting. He climbed 7 mountains. When he comes home in a few hours, I'll have, essentially, made it just a few rows past where I was 3 days ago. All okay. Part of the process. Part of the process. Part of the process. (right?)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home