Friday, October 20, 2006

Komi bag 2

Having finished both Hiawatha and Vertical stripes in such a short time-frame, after working on both for so long, I felt a little empty. Not a bad kind of empty, but the contemplative kind of empty you feel after finishing a really good book. But I think I'm getting over it, and think that my head is shrinking back down to size. (In other words, thanks for the glowing comments!)

I'm now working on the Komi bag for the SnB calendar. Unlike version one of the bag, this time the colorwork pattern is my very own. Plus, I have a couple of other colorwork patterns that will be knit into samples for the expanded version of the pattern. But more on that another time. Here's a sneak peek at my blocking bag:

Komi2blocking


Since this is actually being published somewhere, I think it means I need to come up with a name more creative and memorable than "Komi Bag 2". Any suggestions?

I've also finally cast on for the felted hat. Another reason to love a provisional cast on: When you keep thinking you need 120 stitches, instead of the proper 102, it's okay. Unlike other cast ons, you are not obligated to actually work every stitch you cast on into the piece.

Things to look forward to seeing soon(ish):
* finished Komi bag
* finished felted hat (with reservoir tip!)
* a small project knit in cotton yarn, perhaps even incorporating intarsia, if the cotton isn't too fussy. (Fun fact: I've never done intarsia before. Not even a test swatch.)
* a beautiful crocheted hat (I didn't knit it, but the wonderful person who did is sending it to me. I can't wait to share, because it's spectacular.)

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pretty pattern for the bag. I'll look for it in the calendar.
On the cotton project, why is it I read recently (don't ask me where--I read far too much about knitting to sort it out) that intarsia can't be done in cotton?
At the time, I thought it was because of the propensity of the colors to fade more in cotton. I'm just basing this on the fact that in the one two-color cotton project I knit, the colors faded into each other something awful.

10/20/2006 7:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I see a honeycomb -- 'Midnight Honeycomb' for a name?

10/20/2006 8:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmm. What provisional cast-on do you use? I can't quite see how it works to not use every cast-on stitch? At what point, in your scenario, are you realizing your mistake (in terms of # of stitches cast on)?

The bag looks great! I am terrible at naming things, so I'm going to have to let you down on this one.

10/21/2006 9:00 AM  
Blogger Theresa said...

Midnight Honeycombe is great - way better than every one that came to my mind!

10/23/2006 12:32 AM  
Blogger Lotta said...

That bag is going to look awesome! Makes me think I need to start another colorwork project... :D

10/24/2006 10:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home