Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Samus is done?

Samus is finished. Kinda.

I finished the icord edging around the body. I sewed in the zipper, in my own wonky no-sewing-skills fashion. I skipped the icord edging around the cuffs, because I don't want the sleeves any longer. I think the sleeves look okay, but maybe I'll convince myself to add a crochet chain edging or something. For now, they're as-is, 'cause I like them that way.

The zipper was somewhat of an ordeal. First, I left out the ribbon. I had this ridge on the back from the back of the icord and the edge of the fabric, where I picked up stitches, and it just wasn't going to work well with ribbon. I sewed the zipper directly to that ridge. I don't know if I used the best stitching, but as all I know about sewing is what I need to seam two pieces of knitting together, this isn't surprising. I had to redo part of it, as it was very out of line. It's still not perfectly lined up, as you can see, but it will do for now. I hate working with thread, and I hate sewing anything but seams. This may be a case for a tailor, or maybe a swap with someone at the knitting group. (I'll set in those sleeves for you if you re-sew my zipper for me?) But I'm calling Samus done. I'm ready to be done with it, I'm wearing it, I want to work on other things.

It does fit pretty nicely. The length is good, the sleeve length is good, and it's really comfortable. I also love the neckline. Here are a couple of photos:





I like that modeled shot. I remembered that there is a mirror in the guest room, which makes for a much nicer background than the bathroom. (And no head today because I'm unshowered, unbrushed, and unfed. I'm grimy and hungry and still in a little bit of a fight with dear Samus for daring to have a zipper.)

Now that Samus is "done", I can work on less boring things. Things without zippers. Things like the lace scarf. I worked on it a bit last night, in fact. It felt so good.

Now to go groom myself and eat. And I'm going to wear Samus today. As frustrated as I am with it, I still like it a lot. It's flattering and pretty and soft.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did you check out chicknits.com for zipper-installation advice? She has a good tutorial there, which I used when I installed a zipper in a sweater. It turned out pretty ok. However, I didn't entirely like how the sweater itself turned out so I haven't completely finished it

-K0

11/08/2005 10:30 AM  
Blogger Pumpkinmama said...

It looks wonderful - and from here the zip looks pretty good. I wasn't thinking of knitting this one, but seeing yours makes me want to!

11/08/2005 11:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's great! It looks like a putitonandforgetaboutit sweater, and we all need more of those.
julia fc

11/08/2005 2:09 PM  
Blogger Rozanne said...

It turned out great! I'm finishing a Samus now and I originally found your photo on Flickr and then followed the Flickr link to your blog. Like everyone else, I am dread, dread, dreading having to install the zipper and having to do hand sewing (ick!). Doesn't this cardi have quite a bit of fiddly sewing? The only downside to it. Good to know that you skipped sewing the ribbon in and that it seems to be fine without it.

Thanks for blogging it!

11/15/2008 2:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home