Tuesday, April 22, 2008

The Browns Of Spring

It's quite a shame that we seem to have skipped over mud season in New Hampshire this year, because it would have been the perfect name for my most recent completed yarn.

Zabet's yarn


If I were really clever, I would have thought of that name for it before I sent it to its recipient, so I could have made a fancy Mud Season label for it.

Zabet's yarn


What do pastels have to do with Spring, really? Spring is all about mud and dirt, with little hints of green and vibrant color poking through. This is the perfect Spring yarn. You just didn't know it until now!

I spun the yarn from merino roving I bought from Fibrespace Supplies. She has several collections of merino rovings in color groups. I've already spun up the rainbow roving, and have a collection of rose colored roving that I have fun plans for. This was spun from the forest colors, plied with a chocolate brown. There are 2 skeins, weighing about 180 grams in total, at just under 500 yards, for a 15.5(ish) wpi 2 ply sportweight yarn.

The best thing about spinning yarn for other people? They get to decide what to do with it. No pressure, eh?


I have managed to get a bit of knitting done in addition to all of the spinning. However, I haven't figured out, yet, how to rationalize black and blue as springtime colors. So there goes that theme:

Haida socks for Jules


Those are pretty plain socks, but I expect you to be all impressed at how big they are. I got an unexpectedly large amount of sock out of one skein of lightweight Socks That Rock, so if the pleasure of knitting socks to warm a friend's husband's feet wasn't enough, I now know how much sock I get get from STR. Good information to have! If you're curious, these socks are 64 sts around in 2x2 ribbing, 8 stitches/inch, 11 rows/inch, 6" leg (before heel flap, so 8" total height), 11" foot (an excess of foot, if you ask me -- what do they do with all that flesh?), and about 5 grams of yarn leftover when all was said and done. (And that was with a skein that was at least a few grams short from the beginning.)

I think that photo captures the colors fairly accurately. I was impressed with the colorway, as I've heard that some people had problems with black dye coming off on hands or in soak water with the Raven series. My hands were clean, and my soak water was clear. I'd certainly consider knitting with some of this stuff again.


The mega-socks haven't been my only Blue Moon Fiber Arts project as of late. I'm almost done with a Sheep 2 Shoe kit in the Pink Granite colorway. I have about 15-20 grams (out of 8.5 oz!) left to spin before plying, so I'll have a lot of information on that soon.

pink granite bobbin


What I'll say about it now is how strange it is that I chose this colorway, as I just finished knitting up a Raven colorway, and have started knitting socks in the Rose Quartz colorway. The Pink Granite roving has the black of the Ravens, as well as pinks that are exactly the same as the pinks in the Rose Quartz, making it quite strange to alternate between the knitting as the spinning, since the spinning is nowhere near ready to knit, yet I continuously feel as if I'm already knitting with it! I adore the pinks in the roving and in the Pink Quartz yarn (which I've been looking for an excuse to try for a long time), but one thing I'm learning during this spinning project is that I'll be reluctant to buy a Sheep 2 Shoe kit in a Raven colorway. For some reason, I just don't like spinning the black parts of the roving nearly as much as the rest of it. It feels harder to spin evenly (maybe because of the darkness), and feels dry. But more on that in a week or so (I hope), when I have some finished yarn to show you. I'm so excited to ply, and see what I get!

I've felt kind of uninspired regarding written expression lately, so apologies if this post seems dry or awkwardly worded. I just needed to push through and get something out, lest you (and I) think I fell in a deep, dark mud pit. So look at the pretty pictures and ignore the rest if necessary, okay?

Labels: , ,

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's very true about Spring colors...

I'm really excited to see that yarn plied up - should be great!

4/22/2008 7:03 PM  
Blogger Segwyne said...

Mud Season is a perfect name for that yarn. My husband was just admiring those socks, too.

4/22/2008 9:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am amazed that you squeezed a pair of giant man-socks out of one skein of lightweight STR. And you had yarn left over? That's practically a miracle! ;-)

ITA about the colors of spring. Certainly in the East!

4/23/2008 1:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello, everything well? I am 25 years old and I live in Brazil. It was navigating for the internet when I found its blog and I simply found pretty! Congratulations! You are very talented! Its works are magnificent, very well done and with impeccable finish! You are a great artist! I make crochet there is already some time, but in the knitt I am still crawling. I was admired with its works! Congratulations again! A hug: Ana Paula
P.S.: excuse for English I fail, I used a translating program. Sorry!

4/23/2008 2:29 PM  
Blogger Linda said...

Well your pretty pictures are well worth looking at! The spun yarn is great as usual, you inspired me to start spinning so keep it up, I yearn to be able to spin some gold like you did!

4/24/2008 2:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the brown. I'm currently working on some socks for size 11 feet in STR lightweight and also getting some surprising yardage out of it. It's like weird magic that come from delicious yarn.

4/24/2008 3:51 PM  
Blogger Becky Holmes said...

I like seeing those Haida socks. I used that color yarn (in heavyweight) to make a scarf for my son. The black did come off a little on my fingers but not enough to bother me. He LOVES the scarf. It's very manly, but not boring black.

5/02/2008 10:40 AM  
Blogger Shaina said...

I am frackin' crazy about that Mud Season yarn.

7/14/2008 4:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home