Monday, February 25, 2008

glowing ginger (and a little contest!)

Ginger pile


Falklands wool, hand dyed by Hello Yarn, in the Ginger colorway. This yarn is 92 grams, 255 yards, and 14 wpi. The colors are more beautiful than I can capture with a camera. If I had a choice, everything I knit would contain at least one of the shades in this yarn. The dye job is amazing. Here's another view:

Ginger skein


I spun the yarn using the fractal method, which I guess was discussed in a recent issue of a spinning magazine, which I do not own. But I heard enough people discussing it on Ravelry that I got the basic idea. You split your roving in half lengthwise (or fail to split it evenly in half, as I did), and spin one bobbin straight from half of the roving. For the other bobbin, you split the second half of your roving into thinner strips, so the color repeats end up being shorter once it is spun up. When you ply the singles together, you are combining one very long repeat of the colors in the roving with a series of shorter repeats of the same sequence, resulting in a somewhat subdued entropy of color combinations. I'm not sure that I'll really feel the full effect of the technique until the yarn is knit up, but what I think it means for me now is that there are places where the colors of the plies contrast, and places where they match, and that I find that very pretty.

You can see a couple of close-up photos here and here. I think it's hard to see in my photos, but in the yarn I can see exactly where Adrian got the name Ginger for the colorway. Especially since I cooked with ginger root this weekend. (mmm... samosas!) There are parts of the yarn that are a glowing light coppery/golden brown color, almost exactly the same shade as the outside of ginger root. I think those were my favorite parts.

This was my first time working with Falklands wool, and I really enjoyed it. It was a bit tough to draft, after having just worked with merino, but extremely easy to spin. It has a solid softness to it. It reminds me a bit of Cascade Eco Wool. I'm not sure I'd say that the final yarn feels like Eco Wool, but just that both Eco Wool and my Falklands roving have that same sort of softness that doesn't feel delicate or too fine, but which has a kind of backbone to it, if that makes sense.

Thanks to my uneven splitting of the roving, I have 25 grams leftover. (Yes, I realize that I should have used the thicker piece for the first ply, just stripping off a thin section to use for the second ply, evening out the weights. I was not thinking at all...) I've balled that up, and will keep it for plying up in case I need a bit extra yarn for whatever project I choose. I'm thinking a hat of some sort, because this yarn deserves to get shown off, and a head is a good place to show things off!


As for the contest... the sock pattern is almost done! What was holding me back was lack of a name. I couldn't do the final formatting until I had a title page (because I'm stubborn), and I couldn't have a title page until I had a name (because I'm stubborn). I finally thought of the perfect name for the socks. Here's a little reminder of what the socks look like:

My creation


Their name is Francie. This is one of those things that may be completely obvious, or so obscure that nobody will get it. I honestly don't know which.

I have decided to set Friday, February 29 as the publishing date for this pattern. Leap day for a sock pattern = perfection! (Plus, setting a solid goal for myself, in public, will get me to finish that formatting.) The first person to guess why these socks are named Francie will receive a free copy of the pattern. (Or a free copy of one of my hat patterns, if you aren't into socks.) Please don't use Google to try to find the answer -- you either know it somewhere in the deep recesses of your mind, or you don't. You can guess by leaving a comment or emailing me at the address in the sidebar.

If nobody guesses before the pattern is published, I suppose I'll choose my favorite wrong answer. Or maybe choose a random number. I have no idea. I'm betting someone will get it, though!

Good luck, and see you on Friday.

Labels: , , ,

25 Comments:

Blogger Dove Knits said...

My association with Francie is the book A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, so I'll guess that you named the sock after Francie from there.

2/25/2008 9:25 AM  
Blogger Pumpkinmama said...

Well, the ribbing on the sole looks like the eiffel tower to me,so France/Francie?

2/25/2008 9:46 AM  
Blogger Happily Knit said...

I don't know if this is your era or not, but I used to play with a Barbi-ish doll named Francie...maybe you're trying to commemorate her?...with a sock? haha

Beautiful sock by the way :)

2/25/2008 9:53 AM  
Blogger Linda said...

I don't know but I love the socks!

2/25/2008 12:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

THE SOCK REMINDS ME OF 'CROSSROADS'. NICE SOCK!

2/25/2008 12:37 PM  
Blogger Dave said...

Well, my Aunt Frances, who we called Francie, had blue eyes just like that blue. I imagine she also had ribs, just like that sock. That's it, right!?!?!

2/25/2008 1:27 PM  
Blogger Lauren said...

Francie was the best friend on Alias!

2/25/2008 1:39 PM  
Blogger Stella said...

I just watched 'To Catch a Thief' last night so the only Francie I can think of at the moment is Grace Kelly's character, Francie Stevens... who has nothing at all to do with socks.

But I did want to comment on that yarn -- it's beautiful! You're really making me want to give spinning a try.

2/25/2008 1:56 PM  
Blogger Kenyetta said...

I had the same thought as Pumpkinmama- the Eiffel tower!

2/25/2008 4:47 PM  
Blogger Knitty Gritty Thoughts said...

Eek! I have no idea but they are lovely!

2/25/2008 9:18 PM  
Blogger Wool Enough said...

Francie? I've never known or heard of a Francie, ever. Actually the pattern makes me think of Robert Frost. You know -- "Two roads diverged in a yellow wood . . . I took the one less traveled by. . ."

2/25/2008 9:31 PM  
Blogger AnnieMouse said...

Francie Conway? The lines are very architectural-The could be a skyline.

2/25/2008 11:27 PM  
Blogger Klozter said...

There's only one Francie -- sitting in her window, reading her library book, surrounded by her Tree in Brooklyn, clearly illustrated by the sole of your sock.

2/26/2008 3:55 AM  
Blogger sarah said...

oh, I have NO idea! I wish I did...but I just wanted to say that your ginger handspun yarn is absolutely gorgeous...I LOVE the colors and the way the two plies match up without too much barberpole-ing. Lovely!

2/26/2008 8:43 AM  
Blogger Donna said...

I like Dove Knits guess; my most recent association for "Francie" is Alias, and that's just embarrassing.

2/26/2008 2:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ginger is gorgeous, absolutely gorgeous.

2/26/2008 3:58 PM  
Blogger Jill said...

Well, it looks like a French heel from old-fashioned stockings to me, so that's my answer: "Frenchie" as in French heels.

BTW, if that isn't what you meant, it's a really great coincidence!

2/27/2008 3:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I came here just by the accident, but I can always try :) Francie could be name of some character of Agatha Christie book or the name of a rabbit you used to have as a child :D Love the socks btw.

2/27/2008 9:15 AM  
Blogger Heather said...

IDK your dog? cat? child? Francie from Alias? does any one watch alias anymore???

2/27/2008 7:52 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

my mom says after the barbie doll, IF the socks are knee highs

2/27/2008 7:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My only association is with a friend named Francie. I'm assuming it's not named for my friend Francie, but I did want to say how lovely those socks are. The color, it is gorgeous! And the branching pattern is simply faboo.

2/27/2008 11:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

because it looks like the confluence point of some very important rivers:

The Rhine and the Danube formed most of the northern inland frontier of the Roman Empire, and since those days the Rhine has been a vital navigable waterway, carrying trade and goods deep inland. It has also served as a defensive feature, and been the basis for regional and international borders. The many castles and prehistoric fortifications along the Rhine testify to its importance as a waterway. River traffic could be stopped at these locations, usually for the purpose of collecting tolls, by the state controlling that portion of the river.

2/28/2008 5:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

should have referenced wikipedia. sorry.

2/28/2008 5:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love your socks and even love more your ginger-yarn. I really would like to read more about this fractal method you mentionned, but I haven't found it in raverly. There are too many spinning groups. Can you please give me a hint?
Greetings from Germany
Mascha

3/02/2008 9:50 AM  
Anonymous Diana said...

gorgeous! I love the way the colors look in the skein.

(commenting on this 2008 post because I just learned to spin so its all brand new to me :-)

1/28/2010 11:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home