Saturday, June 09, 2007

slowly unfurling

This is a quickie post to let you know that I finally got Paypal payments working for the Smoke Signals hat pattern. I'm still trying to figure out how to get rid of the blank space that appears above the button, but am afraid to touch the html, lest I break the poor thing again. Sorry to be a bit spammy about this (if it's possible to be spammy on one's own blog), but I'm excited to get sales going again, even if it's just one or two sales. Go to the original hat post if you want to order.

I feel terrible posting something so lacking in content, so here are a couple of other tidbits to make your day more interesting. Neither of which are directly knitting related (a rarity for me on the blog), but both of which provide me with inspiration. The first is a photo of a fiddlehead fern, taken a few weeks ago on a hike somewhere in this lovely state of New Hampshire:

fiddlehead fern


Between the fuzz and the delicate curves, I feel like that's a lace hat pattern just waiting to be born. Anyone up to the design challenge? I know I'll be keeping the photo in the back of my mind, in case design inspiration hits.

Secondly, have you guys heard about Beethoven's 9th Symphony stretched to last 24 hours? I heard about it a few weeks ago, possibly on Studio 360 (which has a podcast, so you have no excuse for not listening to it every week). When I began the Autumn Color Cardigan, I talked about how the slowly emerging rainbow of the hem reminded me of the teasing opening of the fourth movement of his 1st symphony. Here I am full-circle, with 24 hours of the 9th symphony, which I find to be an even stronger analogy than that previous post. First of all, I desperately want to spend 24 hours listening to the symphony. One of the first CDs I ever owned was of that symphony, I wrote a long paper about the 3rd movement for my Beethoven's Symphonies class in college, and know the symphony better than the back of my hand. I want to spend 24 hours listening to it, distorted over time just as a sock or sweater is distorted over time as it's being knit. The excruciating detail of every stitch, every note, every yarn over, every breath, blending together into one meditative experience.

I know that today is knit in public day, and I have to admit that the idea is not for me, in general. I have nothing against knitting in public, but I prefer to use my blog as my way to share my knitting with any section of the general public who cares to look. However, if there were a 24 hours of Beethoven knitting gathering somewhere nearby, I'd be there in a heartbeat. As long as someone brought a lot of coffee, and I was assured that I'd be able to shush people whenever I needed, to pay attention to particular favorite bits of the symphony.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Eve said...

If you remove the carriage returns in your code, all those <br />s will disappear.

6/10/2007 11:04 AM  
Blogger Laurie said...

I have been in love with Beethoven's 9th Symphony for over 30 years (oops, shows my age). It's all about the seasons and changes...oh, yes, it matches up quite nicely to knitting.

Your hat pattern is beautiful. Thanks for bringing it back to my attention.

6/18/2007 10:29 AM  
Blogger Miss Bea said...

Oh what a wonderful and beautifully expressed analogy. The excruciating detail from which springs a masterpiece. That feeling of half-controlled creativity flowing out of oneself is present both when I sing a mass and when I knit a sweater.

The 9th is my favorite as well. It makes me breathless though, so I'm not sure I would survive 24 hours of it!

6/19/2007 11:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home