Saturday, March 10, 2007

quirky hat for actual nomads

First off, shameless promotion. Hear me make a fool of myself on Quirky Nomads, in Quirky Quiz 7. You get to hear me babble on, lose touch with the English language, and try my hand at an Australian accent. All through a really cheap microphone, so sorry for the sound quality. (The sound quality of all the other players is great, so don't be scared away. I just wanted to reassure any potential listeners that, no, I don't talk in static in real life.) And in case anybody is wondering, the stuff about the silly string is not true.

Of course, in my fantasy world, everybody listens to Quirky Nomads, meaning that this announcement is completely unnecessary. But since I reluctantly acknowledge that my fantasy world is not in perfect sync with the real world, if you've never listened to Quirky Nomads before, do poke around the site and download gobs of episodes. For something completely different than the Quiz, listen to the episode Red Counter.


Oh, you expected actual knitting content? While I wasn't bantering with lovely, witty, funny women this past week, I was working on a new Dulaan hat. Here's a sneak peek:

Latvian Dreams hat


The colorwork is based on a chart from Latvian Dreams, and the construction is my own design. It's actually turning out to be very similar in design to the Komi hat. I had more complex design ideas at first, but as I worked through them realized that the best option was the simplest. I did a provisional cast on, which I'll pick up later for a turned hem. I wanted the hat to look like it has a fold up brim, with a different pattern than on the rest of the hat. To achieve that I knit a purl round after finishing the border pattern. I'm not sure if it will have the effect I want when the hat is done, but it was worth an experiment. Knitting that border as an actual fold-up brim would have been complicated because of curling issues, as well as because I was completely undecided on how I wanted to finish the top of the brim. As you can see, when undecided, I simply practice avoidance by eliminating the need for the decision. Clever, eh?

I think I'm going to finish off the hat similarly to the Komi hat, with a solid color top. We'll see what happens when I get there, though. This is a design in progress. And speaking of design, I was pleasantly surprised by the positive reaction to the Wavy hat, both here and on Flickr. I'm going to set aside some time (hopefully this coming week, but we'll see) to write up a pattern for it. The hat that I knit is small. I haven't measured the circumference, but it's definitely sized to fit a child, not an adult. Of course, by changing gauge, you could get an adult sized hat. But perhaps I'll add an adult version, with an extra pattern repeat in there. I'll have to sit down and do a bit of math, but I think that should work out.

Of course, I'm about 12 rows and a toe away from finishing the second crustacean sock. That's going to happen before pattern writing. I can't wait to make my feet crabby. (In a happy sort of way.)

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Christy said...

Okay, I'm a little freaked out that you post showed up in my Google reader as I was listening to the quirky quiz. Good job.
Nice colorwork.

3/10/2007 8:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's funny. I listened to the quirky quiz but I found you through flickr' by searching knit and sorting by most interesting. I was like "Hmm... Bowerbird knits, where have I heard of that before"!

3/12/2007 10:14 AM  
Blogger Susan said...

Just listened to the Quirky Quiz! Great accent, and excellent job on the show!

3/12/2007 3:53 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

do you make these patterns up yourself? I would love to knit some of the stuff you've made. Do you have patterns available or can you point me in the right direction?

3/13/2007 12:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home