Monday, October 09, 2006

blocking, swatching, SFCKAL update

Before anything else, I must say a huge thank you for the wonderful comments on the Hiawatha shawl. You guys are too kind. And now for some real content:

Vertical Stripes is finally, finally kind of done-ish. I finished knitting the second sleeve, and it's blocking in preparation for the knitting of cuffs and collar. I also started some swatching, for a felted hat I'm knitting for a friend, and for some Komi mittens for myself.

VS blocking, felted hat swatch, Komi mittens swatch


The hat is being knit with Wool of the Andes, and boy did it feel weird to knit that swatch with size 10.5 needles. It was like knitting with sausages. Or broomsticks. Or perhaps elephant trunks. BIIIIG!

The mittens will be knit with Harrisville Shetland Style, which has been sitting in a drawer since January, waiting for the perfect project. I'm planning on knitting pattern 25 from Schurch's mitten book. That's the one on the cover, though I'm knitting it in just 2 colors. I really like the patterning on it, and while I adore the color combination used in the original, it completely hides the beauty of the pattern. I think it will look gorgeous in my russet and cream yarn. I'll probably be using size 00 needles, which will be fun interspersed with the size 10.5 needles for the hat.

On a completely different note, it's time to do a SFCKAL update. First, I want to announce that I've decided to put an end date on the knitalong. It seems like a lot of people are losing steam, so maybe having a solid end date will encourage folks to pick up their sweaters again. In any case, it's good for me, because I'd rather not feel an obligation to do updates if there are only a handful of people still participating in the knitalong. I'll keep the Yahoo group open pretty much indefinitely, but I'm going to declare the blogging portion of the knitalong over on February 15, 2007, exactly one year after the start date. If there is enough to report, I'll go back to weekly updates this fall and winter. If not, I'll just do updates when I have a chunk of stuff to share, with the last one on February 15. Here's what I have this time around:

2 Comments:

Blogger Becki said...

I think the ending date is a good idea. February 15th seems fair, too - I was trying to convince myself I could get this done by the Rhinebeck festival which is, um, in a week. Not if I want to be alive when I attend.

Would you recommend that mitten book? I've been looking for a nice one.

10/09/2006 11:54 AM  
Blogger LaurieM said...

Being able to switch up your needle sizes is a good reason to have multiple projects. I find if my hands are getting sore with one size, a switch up will make me feel better.

I feel so bad when I read about knitters who can't knit because of pain. I don't ever want to go there. So I think it's really important to listen when my body says "enough!"

I really like how Charlene S. uses color in her mitten book, but you can never go wrong with basic neutrals.

10/09/2006 12:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home