Thursday, September 21, 2006

the final push

I'm finally back on Hiawatha's case, and seem to be having success with the edging:

Hiawatha edging


I picked up stitches ahead of time, and am doing a true SKP to attach, instead of counting the picked up stitch as the "K". I think it's going to be stretchy enough, but I have a lifeline in case it isn't. I think I'm in good enough shape to actually haul the thing to knitting group tonight.

I'm also planning for the future. I just received a Knitpicks order. (Now I feel like one of the cool kids.)

My Knitpicks order (so I can be one of the cool kids)


I got extra Palette to finish the Vertical Stripes sweater, 5 skeins of Wool of the Andes for a felted hat I'm designing for a friend (more on that another time), and some 2.5mm needles.

They couldn't match my old Palette colorway, which I expected. I think I can see a slight difference (the new stuff looks a bit darker), but I hope it's not too noticeable in the cuffs and collar. I haven't yet knit with the WotA, but it's nicer to the touch than I expected. The photos on their site make it look kind of icky. I threw the needles in because I'm borrowing 32" size 1 Addi Turbos to work on the VS sleeves, and thought these would be a good substitute, so I could return the borrowed needle earlier. Unfortunately, that's not going to happen. The Knitpicks 2.5mm needles are a bit thinner than the Addis (though not quite as small as 2.25mm needles), and the taper on the tips is so long that it would surely mess with my gauge even further. The taper on each of the tips isn't quite identical, so one is slightly thicker at the point then the other. There are also some dents (tool marks?) on the tips. I don't think they're deep enough to catch on my yarn, but it surely doesn't add to my satisfaction with the needles. And I don't think the cord feels any better than the Addis cord. If anything, it feels the slightest bit stickier, which I don't consider a good thing. But, ya know, I got what I paid for. I've learned my lesson, and in the future will pay for Addis, so I get Addi quality. I'd return the Knitpicks needles, but I think I have to pay for return shipping, which makes it barely worth it. (Yes, I'm really picky.)

I went to a wedding and climbed a mountain this weekend, which meant I knit less than usual. Totally worth it. See!:

wedding dancingTecumseh


I'd really love for my next post to feature a finished (or at least blocking) Hiawatha. Keep your fingers crossed!

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've wondered about the super-tapered tips screwing with gauge. My knitting is on the tight side as it is, and I worry that long tapers would exacerbate that. I'll probably buy one sometime to try it out, though, since lots of people do seem to like them.

Looks like the foliage in NH is coming right along! This is a good time of year to live in that state. Your photo is really making me want to go hiking (and I don't even like hiking all that much).

9/21/2006 3:31 PM  
Blogger LaurieM said...

Better yet, I'll cross my needles for you. Several times. :-)

I don't like Knitpics quality on most everything except laceweight, even though they tempt me with pretty catelogs.

9/21/2006 5:02 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

What length are the needles? You could always sell 'em secondhand, since I'd imagine they'd be dirt cheap to ship.

hint. ;)

9/22/2006 1:39 AM  
Blogger Theresa said...

Was the wedding in the mountains? It looks like a great deal of fun dancing.

9/22/2006 6:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm looking forward to seeing your Hiawatha done. I am also knitting it and I can't imagine how long will take the edge. You give me courage.

9/27/2006 5:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home