Thursday, July 13, 2006

and it will only get smaller

VS sweater sleeve 1


Yeah, I know that doesn't look like a whole lot of progress on the sleeve. But I'm currently decreasing 2 stitches every third round (and will continue to do so unless I find my math was off when I double check it), which is already making a noticeable difference. I'm a bit concerned about the sleeve being too wide, even though I went with what I thought was a reasonable sleeve depth (about 9"). But I'm not changing anything, because it's way too late for that, with those steeks cut and all. If the fit is funny, the fit is funny. It's definitely too early to tell, though.

Here's a closeup of the sleeve decreases:

VS sweater sleeve 1 - decreases closeup


Because my gauge is so much tighter than in the pattern, I ended up picking up a lot more stitches for the sleeves than they did. This meant that I was left with more than a horizontal pattern repeat worth of stitches, and had to decide what to do about that. I could have added in a partial snowflake on either side of the stripes on the bottom, but decided it would look nicer to just add in a few more stripes, which as you can see are more than halfway decreased away, already. Looking at the wider view, you'll see how those underarm stitches I once placed on stitch holders are incorporated into the underside of the sleeve. I think it's a really neat visual effect because of the stripes. Decreases are done on either side of that section, and I have the beginning of each round start at the beginning of that section. That makes things a tad bit fiddly, since I do color changes (where necessary) at the beginnings of rounds, but have the needles set up so they switch at the direct underarm, which is slightly past the beginning of the round. But it's worked fine so far.

On a barely-knitting-related note, check this out:

a knitting scrabbler's lament


Can you spot where I'd have been able to play the word "yarnover" to get a triple word score, if only the word yarnover were in the Scrabble dictionary? Oh the pain! 42 points (and you can see I needed them), and a very cool word, but I couldn't play it because it's not in the dictionary we're using. *sob*

5 Comments:

Blogger gray la gran said...

your stitching is so nice, that i enjoy watching every little step of progress ....

7/13/2006 12:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It looks great!

I wonder whether you've thought about the sweater on the cover of Sweaters from Camp? It has unusual (and I thought, flattering, compared to many FIs) sleeve design. And, cough, if you tackle it I might be inspired to actually get started. ;)

7/13/2006 3:47 PM  
Blogger Becki said...

I was so surprised with how slowly my sleeves seemed to go. I'm still wishing that my sleeves (and maybe the body) were a little thinner, but I guess it's just a learning experience of what one prefers. Your sweater is looking so lovely.

7/13/2006 4:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I found your blog via Flickr. I love your knitting photos! That sweater is progressing very nicely. It's inspiring me to start a kit I have for the Embroidered Jacket from Norsk Strikkedesign.

Man, I would have browbeat the person I was playing into letting me play yarnover! The scrabble dictionary is so weird. I remember wanting to play gaussian once, and it wouldn't let me.

7/13/2006 7:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are officially my knitting hero.

7/14/2006 7:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home