Saturday, February 04, 2006

she swatch, he swatch, a-we swatch, I swatch, you swatch, a-they swatch

I have no willpower. I swatched for the Fair Isle Pullover With Vertical Stripes (which I think I'll just refer to as "Vertical Stripes" in the future), for the Sweaters From Camp KAL.

Vertical Stripes gauge swatch


This is obviously just a gauge swatch, not a swatch for color. I was getting about 9 stitches per inch and 10 rows per inch. I think it will be about the same after my swatch dries. I really love the fabric at this gauge, and going from 7.5 to 9 stitches per inch will yield a sweater that will be the right size for me, without me having to futz with the colorwork. Woohoo!

Also, notice the bit of texture in the top few rows of the swatch. I was experimenting with the purl when you can technique. It looks nicer than I thought it would! I haven't yet decided how long I'm going to use it in the actual sweater. I think it would be smart to use it for at least an inch, to be in the safe side. I may end up using it for the entire first pattern repeat, which would be over 2". It won't be used on every row in the section of the sweater where it's used, because of the fairly frequent color changes. I'll use it only in the motif stitches. Since the longest color run in the motif is 3 rows, PWYC will never go for more than 2 rows in a row. (You can only do it if you're purling into the same color as the stitch you're purling into, so it can't be used in the first row of a new color. Those rows will be plain knit colorwork.)

As a reminder, I'm using Knitpicks Palette. I have to say that I'm already pleasantly surprised at how nice it is to work with this yarn. I think it's a little thinner than J&S, so 9 stitches per inch does not feel stiff. It's considerably softer than J&S, and is so nice to touch when knit up. If I enjoy this yarn as much for the rest of the sweater as I did in swatching, it may have to be a colorwork staple for when I don't need a wide color selection.

Also, I hope it's obvious that I'm not using those colors for the actual sweater. Both the brown and purple are in the sweater, but the actual colorway is a cream background, with motifs in blues, purple, and brown. Here's a picture of the yarns in color order:

Vertical Stripes colorway


The pattern repeat is 25 rows, and what you're looking at is basically the color order for the bottom half of each repeat. The colors will obviously be in a mirror image. I'm mimicking the color order of the original colorway, just with my own colors. So it will be 3 rows light blue, 3 rows purple, 3 rows medium blue, 1 row purple, 2 rows dark blue, 1 row brown, and then back in reverse for the last 12 rows of the repeat. All on the cream background. I don't think I'm going to swatch for color. I like my colors, I like the order they're in, and I'm an indecisive person. If I swatch for one color order, I'm just going to want to swatch for some other order, and will end up doing a dozen swatches. I'm going with my gut. And may the knitting police knock down my door and take me off to the prison of acrylic if I whine about my color order after I start. I'll deserve it. ;-)

As for Ingeborg, progress is slow but steady. I might finish the third pattern repeat by the end of the weekend. We'll see. I'm right around the spot where I'd have to create armhole steeks if I were going to do such a thing. I'm 95% sure I won't. Sewing machine, here I come!

(And of course bonus knitting karma points for those who know what inspired the post title. Hint: I think it's time for me to put in the Kitschy 80's Pop CD.)

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your swatch looks great, and I love your color choices. I also swatched for my SFC vest yesterday. This is going to be a scary project for me - lots of stitches, tiny needles, cutting steeks. Oh help!

2/05/2006 9:23 AM  
Blogger kate said...

She Bop!

That's going to be a gorgeous sweater. Can't wait to see it in the 'real' colors!

2/05/2006 11:14 AM  
Blogger AnneB said...

Nice looking swatch. Haven't tried the Knitpick yarns yet but have stocked up on J&S and if I don't use it up, hubby Joe WILL call the knit police.

Anne - getting ready to cut the steeks on Whirligig.

2/05/2006 2:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love your color choices! And while I'm not encouraging you to swatch for color, if you did, think of what a lovely throw you could make by stitching all your swatches together after your fit of indecision!

2/05/2006 4:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your swatch is beautiful.
(I got here from Eunny's.)

2/08/2006 11:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home