Sunday, July 27, 2008

Walking On The Sun

Walking on the Sun mosaic


superwash merino, dyed by Spunky Eclectic
104 grams 262 yards
17 wpi (untensioned), 23 wpi (tensioned)
plus a little bit of leftovers that I chain plied, not pictured

It's currently zipping along to California, to live with my friend Jen, who not only makes things with yarn, but who also makes music. (No, really, makes music. As in, dreams up wonderful things, then writes down notes that tell other people what to sing or play. Okay, it may be a bit more difficult and involved than I make it sound, but you get the picture. How cool is that!)



I have a few other things to show you guys, but I'm going to save them, and spread them out a bit. I've gone through a very long period of infrequent but very full blog posts, and am going to try out slightly (SLIGHTLY) more frequent but less full posts. Let's see how I like it!

I also feel like being a bit chatty today, so I'll try that out, too. Summer has really been wearing on me, for a variety of reasons, and I already have autumn on my mind. Aside from the normal stressful things about summer (namely that it's almost always too hot), some good stressful stuff (house buying!) and bad stressful stuff (health stuff) have me thinking a lot about life a few months from now, when the air will be crisp and cool, and the stressful stuff will be mostly behind me, leaving me to relax a bit more.

I have grand plans for the autumn and winter, few of which I'm sure will happen, because I always dream up more than I could do in the time-frame in which I want to do it. (It doesn't help that that time frame is often RIGHTNOW.) I have all of this great handspun that I am longing to see fulfill its destiny and turn into something other than stash drawer filler. (Really, all good yarns deserve to be more than stash drawer filler, don't they? One reason I don't stash a lot is because I find it mildly distressing to see all that great potential just sitting there, mostly hidden, not doing or being anything.) I have yarn for a sweater, and I long to knit a sweater. (RIGHTNOWRIGHTNOW of course!)

I'm also expanding my spinning horizons, and am working on my first longdraw project right now. And I have 8 oz. of washed corriedale, and a pair of hand carders on their way to me, in anticipation of taking my adventures in fiber one step closer to the sheep. Of course, the next step after that is buying a whole fleece, hand carding it, spinning it, and knitting up a sweater from it. And of course, that's probably a sweater I'd want to design.

And then there are the design ideas. I'm not actively working on anything right now (see above, re stress!), but have a few vague ideas I hope to get to eventually, and one thing that I just pitched to Amy Singer in an email, because I think it may be a good Knitty pattern. (Or set of patterns. But I shall say no more, in case she's interested!)

Basically, I want to be doing Big Things right now, but don't have the time or energy. But writing about them makes them all seem a bit more real, so thanks for indulging me. I also hope it gets you guys thinking about the Big Things you want to do, whether you plan to do them right away, this autumn, or even later. You don't have to spill the beans right now, but get thinking, because there may be a contest coming up for some handspun, and you just may have to divulge your deepest, darkest fiber fantasies and goals to me to enter. Just maybe. Stay tuned...

Labels: , ,

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, SO gorgeous! I'm going to enter the contest early. My deepest, darkest fiber fantasy is that. lol

7/27/2008 4:25 PM  
Blogger Molly said...

That is absolutely stunning. As always, I'm completely wowed by how even your singles are and how well-integrated they are in the plying---you must have an excellent finishing method! Maybe some post in the future you'll share it with us?

7/27/2008 5:58 PM  
Blogger Margaret said...

Oh boy do I hear you with Big Plans and no time/energy to realize them. I'm past my eyeballs at work, and so all I want to do is craft stuff. I've turned to Eunny Jang's Bayerische socks -- I find her description (of the ability of twisted-stitch patterns to sooth the crazed brain) to be very accurate -- but that's still not what I Really Want To Be Doing. So thanks for sharing your excitement for Big Things -- it's nice to know I'm not alone. *grin*

7/28/2008 12:14 AM  
Blogger wiscjennyann said...

Beautiful yarn!

7/28/2008 7:31 AM  
Blogger Linda said...

The yarn looks fab!

7/28/2008 1:21 PM  
Blogger Monika said...

This yarn is to die for! I love the feshness of the colores. :o)

7/29/2008 10:42 AM  
Blogger Cassy said...

Ay Ay Ay! That is amazingly beautiful yarn! I know very little about spinning...I have a wheel, no teacher. But that yarn makes me want to learn!

7/31/2008 1:04 PM  
Blogger Robin said...

Your spinning looks great! The colors are gorgeous! Such a nice yellow.

8/01/2008 11:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My Big Plan is to do a PhD. Ideally in microbiology. Like you, too tired, too busy, at present.

8/03/2008 9:32 AM  
Blogger knithound brooklyn said...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE this yarn. The colors are gorgeous.

8/05/2008 12:25 PM  
Blogger Jen Wang said...

I'm the luckiest girl! Seriously, it's one of the prettiest yarns I've ever seen. Thank you thank you thank you! :)

8/11/2008 6:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home