Saturday, August 25, 2007

teased

I was all prepared to on at great length about our beautiful autumnal weather, my sudden urge to knit everything in my Ravelry queue right now(67 projects and counting, the horror), and how all three of my current projects match the new season so beautifully. Too bad we're going to teeter on the edge of setting a record high temperature today (in the mid-90's Fahrenheit), with enough humidity that I'm sure I'll feel like I'm drowning in my own living room. Thanks, friggin August, for taking the fall breeze out of my sails and replacing it with tropical gusts.

But at least I can show you what I was working on, and what I'll try to continue working on in our one (cramped and poorly lit, alas) air conditioned room. First of all, I finished The Socks. I can't show you them yet, but here's a teaser of what the Harrisville looks like in stockinette, from the sole of the foot.

sock teaser


I haven't blocked them yet, so the fabric is still looking a bit rustic. This yarn benefits dramatically from even the laziest of blockings. (In other words, wash and let dry flat.) Isn't the heathered lilac just lovely?

And of course, these socks have earned me my first Cast On Knitting Scout badge:

Normally, of course, such a gesture would be in jest in this situation. But you've read the story (or are welcome to, if you haven't but are curious about what this whole paragraph is about), so it should be clear that the gesture is meant quite literally. As an update, my swatch was finally returned to me last week, without explanation or apology, accompanied by a quite generic and uninspiring rejection letter (fake digitized signature and all). Horrid timing, as I'd just spend a lot of time and energy reinventing the wheel to finish the sock design without that "lost" swatch. I'm glad to have the letter in hand, so I can feel perfectly free to do with the design idea as I like. But I feel even more like a number than before. Well, at least the lesson that this impersonal (and in my case, disrespectful) Knitting Industry is not for me has been well learned. Happy to buy the magazine issues that interest me, and leave it to more hardy (and famous) souls to deal with them on a one-on-one basis. (Bitter much? Yeah, but I have faith that the Knitty rejection will be downright pleasant compared to this fiasco.)

So now that I've filled the room with bitter spite, how about some other knitting? I discovered that a small gnome or elf of some sort had been tinkering in my knitting basket, and managed to cast on for the second sleeve of the Autumn Color Cardigan while I was busy with other things. I swear, I have no memory of casting on for it weeks ago, but apparently did so, and knit the cuff and first 10 rounds of the first chart. Or it was a gnome. Imagine that! I worked a little bit more on it this past week:

Autumn Color Cardigan sleeve 2


I also cast on a new pair of socks. Brenda was kind enough to have Erin send me one of skeins of yarn dyed in an attempt to perfect the colorways for the Brother Amos socks. It turned out quite autumnal (see, there's that cool breeze, trying to push its way through the humidity again), and very much to my liking. It's busier than I'd ordinarily choose for a yarn, but I'm making it work for me in that nearly ubiquitous simian sock pattern:

Monkey in progress


The yarn is from C*EYE*BER Fiber, and the unique colorway is called "Purgatory Orphan", which tickles me to no end. Monkeys In Purgatory. My kind of socks. Especially in these gorgeous colors. If you want a closer look at the eye of partridge heelflap (a new favorite technique), there's this photo.

The third project I kinda, sorta have started is another secret, for now. I can tell you that it's lace, it's self designed (no stitch dictionaries), and is part of a collaboration with Zabet for a project that will hopefully appear in the fall issue of The Anticraft. It was the product of a very fun brainstorming session, and should be rather weird and slightly gross, while also being highly functional and sensible. My yarn just arrived (earlier than I expected), so it may be my weekend project to finalize the design and cast on. Look for it in a couple of months!

I was going to do a couple of book reviews in this post, but I think that would be too much content for one day, so I'll put them off a bit. I also have an unexpected "disappointed in product" review, but I've already whined more than my fair share in this post, and couldn't possibly subject you to more of that right now. Instead, I'll end with many thanks to the people who congratulated me on my county fair ribbons. I assure you, the sweater and mittens are blushing profusely, and quite appreciative of their adoring fans.

Labels: , , ,

13 Comments:

Blogger Knitting Therapy said...

Send those gnomes to my house! Please share. I have any number of projects they could play with.

8/25/2007 1:28 PM  
Blogger Christy said...

Man, I need a knitting gnome, too. I have so many things I want to knit. Perhaps I can leave a note for my gnome asking him to cast on for my Autumn Rose Pullover while I finish up my Argyle Vest.
I'm hopping for a nice rejection from Knitty soon myself. Although I do first need to finish up the pattern ;) Sorry your IK experience was so nasty.

8/25/2007 2:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My gnomes are messing with me.

Yes you definitely earned that badge! Sadly. Their loss but so aggravating, to say the least.

The autumn color cardigan is gorgeous! Sorry to hear August was mean to you today - we actually got a break from the heat.

8/26/2007 12:34 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

The colors in your cardigan are amazing :) You do beautiful work -

8/26/2007 12:04 PM  
Blogger pamela wynne said...

You so earned that badge. Ugh.
But the cardigan is looking gorgeous!

Oh, and late congratulations on your blue ribbon! Woo hoo!

8/26/2007 12:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ugg, sorry to hear about your bad experience!

Thanks for showing the Harrisville though. I have some in my stash but I've heard very little about it on the net! Glad to hear good things :)

8/26/2007 8:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have hopes of some day designing something that I can charge money for, or be published in some knitting magazine, but I don't think I'd ever try for some like IK. Free publications are spiffy with me, and really, I also don't deal very well with rejection. I think you handled it really admirably. Way better than I could have!

I like the look of the cardigan, by the way!

8/27/2007 11:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear of your lousy experience with IK. Their behaviour is just plain rude. Still, you earned yourself a nifty badge in the process. :)

You do lovely knitting—that Autumn cardi is a real beauty!

8/31/2007 3:14 PM  
Blogger BerryKnitty said...

hi, love your knitting and blog.
Sorry about the IK fiasco--jerks. I love those scroll lace socks!! They're amazing.

I love the Autumn Color Cardigan and your monkeys!

9/04/2007 1:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lovely sleeve. I've only recently -- barely -- dipped my toe into the swirling waters (with a strong rip tide) of color knitting.

9/07/2007 1:51 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

I hear you on the Ravelry queue issue - I think I have about 50 lined up. It seems all I want to do is cast on. I'm being good and working on my WIP, so far.

And the Harrisville tweed is lovely.

9/10/2007 3:40 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Just so you know... I eagerly read ALL of your content and it could never be too much for me to read, as long as you feel like writing it... looking forward to your book / disappointed in product reviews.

9/10/2007 7:53 PM  
Blogger Connie said...

I'm sorry your IK experience was so unpleasant. For what it's worth, I always found them to be quite courteous. They're the only knitting magazine that sends a notecard just to let you know that your submission arrived there safely and they've always been responsive to emails.

I like your colorwork. They're very inspiring! I'm completely hopeless when it comes to fair isle and intarsia work, but I can admire from afar! :)

10/03/2007 12:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home