Friday, January 27, 2006

how I knit inside out

I've received a few questions about how I'm doing this inside out knitting thing, so I thought I'd try to take a photo of it.



Obviously my needles aren't perfectly positioned to knit the next stitch, but sacrifices had to be made so I could hold up the sock with one hand while taking the photo with the other.

So when I knit inside out, which is what I do when doing stranded colorwork on DPNs, I do knit (not purl), and end up knitting on the far side of the circle/square. While I can't see the right side of the pattern as well as if I were knitting right side out, I can see enough of it. And it's always a nice surprise when I turn the work right side out after a day or two of knitting, to see the progress.

I find that this technique is incredibly helpful in keeping a decent tension between needles, even though it's still not perfect. I think I might have first heard the advice to do this on the KBTH email list, but I've read about it in many places. It's certainly not my own invention. It doesn't require anything different in terms of casting on, following the chart, or anything. You just flip the sock (or whatever) back right side out when you're done. If you're having a hard time wrapping your head around how it works, try it out with a plain sock or sleeve. Once you do it, it's crystal clear how simple it is.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've wondered how to do that, but seeing the photo helps immensely. Thank you!

1/27/2006 2:06 PM  
Blogger Kerry said...

I remember when I learned to knit on dpns, and tried so hard not to make the mistake of knitting inside out. Now I needed a picture to learn how to do it on purpose! Thanks for the tips!

1/27/2006 2:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've a friend who automatically knitted like that when she first tried dpns. I always thought it would make sense for certain things, like colorwork but haven't tried it yet.

1/28/2006 6:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very cool, thanks for the explanation. I'll have to give that a try with my latvian mittens.

1/28/2006 8:04 PM  
Blogger Laughingrat said...

That is exactly how I knit the first time I used circs. Heh.

Your sock looks just great!

1/28/2006 10:38 PM  
Blogger AnneB said...

The picture sure worked. It was one of those DUH moments. Thanks.

1/29/2006 9:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home