Friday, October 28, 2005

Apricot Jacket; YKW rant

I completely forgot to mention my newest obsession. The newest project for my "must do yesterday" list. Thankfully, this is more of a Spring type project, so I'm not even going to worry about putting it in the lineup, yet.

It's the Apricot Jacket (scroll down a tiny bit) from Rebecca 27. Yum. I looked up some of the technical info yesterday, and it looks like Brown Sheep Cotton Fleece could be a good sub for the recommended yarn. The recommended yarn is more expensive (I think), and a cotton/acrylic blend. I definitely choose a cotton/wool blend over that, and have been hoping for an excuse to knit with Cotton Fleece. Plus, my LYS carries it. Even better, the whole thing should only take 4 or 5 skeins, making it a relatively cheap project. So if I haven't started talking about this project again in March or so, please give me a poke.

While I'm here, can I be a little ranty? There are a couple of blogs that snark ugly designs on a fairly regular basis. I don't mind that. Usually they pick really hideous stuff, though I personally prefer the 1972 plaid bodysuit type patterns over the fun fur disasters. (It's just too easy to sneer at fun fur, and the vintage disasters make for better witty commentary, which is 90% of what makes those types of posts worth reading.) But snark the stuff because you think it's ugly, not because you're intimidated by color changes and weaving in ends. My opinion is that there should be encouragement for patterns that challenge knitters to do stuff like lots of color changes, and to tackle projects that may require more than your average dose of patience. Snark the poncho because it's a poncho. Snark the fringe because it's from 1975. But snarking the fact that it would take a lot of workmanship and patience to complete is just lame. In my snobby opinion. :-)

(And I have to admit that if you turned it into a jacket, and took off most of the fringe, I think I'd like that pattern. The colors work well together, and the pattern combines them in interesting ways. For a poncho, it's pretty neat. For a poncho.)

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I almost like the patterning of that poncho too! I should also confess that a couple of the patterns in second issue of k.1 appeal to me and I have every intention of knitting them. But what do I know. I am Texan and I love Clint Eastwood.

10/29/2005 5:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home